~23~ Common introductions

*Edited: 4-12-2022*
Word count: 4273

(Ugh- that smile kills me-°¬°)

~~~ (George's pov) ~~~

°
°
°

The door clicks closed - leaving me and my thoughts alone in my chambers.

An hour had long passed since (y/n) was put to the night's rest - a precautionary routine set in place, at least for the time being, as even with guards outside her door, one still couldn't be too careful. Not with what occupied her mind currently.

The room was dark, lit only by the peaceful moonlight seeping in from the windows and balcony doors, along with the small candles placed on the nightstand near the bed - each flickering with a sense of warm life.

My hands raise to help shed the jacket from my shoulders as I stop in front of a mirrored desk, draping the fabric of shifting red hues on the back of a chair. Each thought felt as if at a crossroads, unsure of how to continue on - and my gaze seemed kept on the silky material.

How to make her understand?

The question seemed simple. But, how to go about the answer without harm? Uncertainty muddied a few things, however one stayed clear in the fact I wasn't going to hurt her - that is the last thing I ever want to do...even in the slivered fraction of a chance it may come down to it.
How was she to learn...learn that it is better for her to relinquish her futile quest to leave my side, and the security I now had her under.

The world was a cruel place — my sweet rose a frail, naive little thing. (Y/n) aired on the more cautious side of life, and although she has strengths in wanting to be there for others - a trusting, empathetic soul looking out for the well-being of even total strangers - there was no changing the minds of those who would take advantage of that.

People blending in to most everyday life - like the ones you mightn't consider if ever told about the crime. The ones just quiet, awkward, or calm enough to not inherent many visitors or friendly neighborhood greetings causing unwanted attention. The ones showing the sweet veil of charisma as if it were a show - a play lasting long enough to fool the intending audience. The ones hiding the many heinous notions running through their minds and in the shadows of the reality they kept hidden.

Screams of fear and tears cascading down the pain painted features —

A quiet, shaky breath and I swallow - pushing back the thoughts and images plaguing my mind like growing flames quickly extinguished.

My gaze lifts to the reflection of my blue eyes, glossy with new emotions I kept in check.

I would never allow harm to come to her. An unwarranted hand to scar her soul - by my side she will be guarded, under the protection and watch of me and my soldiers; and in time, she will realize how much safer she'll be, how much attention and love she'll receive from me.

A small smile parts the more held back expression on my features, my gaze watching the reflection of the bed behind me - its empty surface painted with the image playing in my head.

She lay still in slumber, her hands tucked under her cheek while her closed eyes made her features seem relaxed with the help of each steady breath and the (h/c) strands lining the side of her face - her skin was as soft as the pale blue fabric of her nightgown, the outline of her legs bent ever so slightly...and with that the image disappears, pushed back by my thoughts.

Once more I look down - not allowing any form of defilement against her honor. I was a gentleman - admittedly however, I would be lying if I said my heartbeat hadn't been noticed...though not from excitement or some urge of wanting her close...more-so, from past thoughts — thoughts of danger. Her in danger.