~54~ Our dearly beloved

*Edited: Proofreading*
Word count: 4883

'Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
May 19, 1756—March 22, 1774.'

My lips were parted, gaze seemingly fixated by the two lines on the thin piece of paper that were the most important.

I read her name for what felt like one hundred times.

A name that sounded vaguely familiar, and one I had sworn to have heard at least once before.

I turn my sympathetic gaze up, looking at the solemn expression on George's face as he looked at the crisp, white envelope in his hands and I instantly knew he was still in great pain, emotional pain he didn't want to bring up.

"George..." I breathe shakily and he holds a breath, his upper body stiff, yet he remains silent.
"George, I-I'm so sorry..."

He swallows hard, clearing his throat as he turns his gaze to meet mine and the smile he tried show me was weak, cracking under the emotions building below the surface.

"Growing up," he starts, his voice cracking like delicate glass. "I had higher expectations than most of my siblings, not just from my family, but from the court and the people. Despite being the second eldest, and more closed off than my siblings, I was always raised to be king, a ruler first and foremost. I was brought up with the knowledge having been engraved in my head that one day I would take over the mantle, the throne, and that I needed to be as perfect as possible."

He takes a breath, his shoulders falling ever so slightly as he turns his gaze back to his knees.

"For years I did my best, working hard even through the difficult times. I wanted- needed to make my family proud, do what was best- not for myself, but for the future kings, queens, and those of whom I ruled over. That's what my parents often told me." His voice softens and he dryly chuckles.
"Though he was often busy, I was closer with my father; My mother was more...stern, with my upbringing, had the best tutors, and education, but she also had stricter rules for me. My father was a little more relaxed, but he also had other things that required his attention." He chuckles softly, tilting his head and my gaze remains on his profile.
"I tried to be there for my siblings, though I have to admit my older sister still holds...strong distaste for me, as I was next in line instead of her; but I was close with most of them, especially my two youngest sisters."

I tilt my head ever so slightly, a gentle smile on my face.
"What are their names?"

George looks up, his eyes shifting to mine as a shine flashes through them, a small smile gracing his face as his chuckles again.

"Louisa and Caroline Matilda." He says, his voice laced with a happier tone. "You'd love them." He smiles, but moments after it slowly falls from his features, along with his confidence and he swallows, looking back at the floor.

"I...apologize for rambling I-" his voice falters, his subconscious fighting with him as he exhales.

I turn my gaze to his hand, placing mine on his as he tenses for only a moment.

"You're doing just fine." I say softly, my voice and touch gentle. "If you're not ready you don't have to go on, I understand."

He glances at me, his gaze kind yet saddened and he moves his hand, holding mine in return.

"...my father passed when I was twelve, and from then on I was fully tutored by my mother and a Scottish nobleman." He takes a breath and my thumb rubs his hand.