~30~ Small piece of hope

*Edited: 7-25-2022*
Word count: 2607

The room was draped with silence - deafened only by the crackling of burned fire, crisp with the still warm glow of dancing flames painting the room in a cozy overlay of orange-yellow hues.
The shadows swayed as if to mimic each steady, quiet breath — flickering with innocence along the walls.

The gentle heat fanned my back — my body leaned against the table in front of me with little care as to the numb feelings or the loose, elegant folds of my dress, which lay spread around me.
My head was resting on my right hand, my elbow on the dark surface of the table - and to improperly voice my long gone patience was the steady tapping of free fingers across a checkered board.

The umber brown knight moves diagonally at the push of my hand - facing off against its selected opponents. A rook. A pawn - no two pawns. Each knocked down by the silent yet mighty horse shaped piece to clatter against the board below.

An easy victory lasting no more than a few seconds before the lighter color retaliated ‐ a white knight to square off against the deadly foe of its brethren.
Two more rooks take stance from behind - each closely surrounded by the opposing hues - and the knights clash in battle that ended with a clatter against the field of made up war.

The white knight had fallen...

But before the breath could release in saddened retreat, the rooks make their move - knocking down all odds to avenge a silent comrade.

A swiftly ended victory that still left my expression with disinterest.

Bored. Tired. My eyes heavy in keeping up with a made up game of what I could only call 'my one-sided version of chess.'

The door clicks - unlocked by an unseen hand - easily grabbing my attention and I lift my head.

Was my endless torment finally at its end?

The most likely answer seemed dreary.

A known figure walks in the room, nodding his head to the guards he passed and his eyes land on me as he smiles.

"Good evening, m'lady." He says simply and I straighten, fixing my posture as my hands fall to my lap - and the male stops by the arm of the couch.

"Samuel."

"His majesty informed on what happened." His tone was kind - a reflection of his shy smile. "I just came to check in on you."

"I am still breathing if that is what you mean. Did his majesty send you up here? Because I have already...apologized." I respond in short, and he chuckles softly, his gaze drawing over the silent chaos of knocked over chess pieces scattered across the table.

"Not exactly." He chimes, lifting his hand and the familiar book cover sparked my intrigue. "I also wanted to give you something to help pass the time."

I stand as if eager to approach - my mind buzzing with new possibilities of entertainment contained between bound pages - and the male's soft chuckle was more than telling of his amusement towards my easy nature.

"You seemed to enjoy it- at least from what I saw." He says, handing me the book with care and I let my eyes draw themselves over the cover.

"Thank you, Samuel."
My gaze lifts with a smile - and the male nods in kind.

"I would love to stay, but sadly I must take my leave- I have some things that are in need of my attention." His response was quick - to a point I didn't think he would have brought up and a part of me was saddened for any sort of company to leave, and yet, I face him with a kind expression.