~28~ A letter

*Edited: 6-27-2022*
Word count: 3707

The door's handle shifts - and I snap my head up as if startled by the barely noticed click that signalled its opening.
The simple sound often overlooked by most and counted on by those who dreaded the day to come.

But it couldn't have been that time yet?

In rhetorically answering my question the door moves, opening to make way for the people on the other side.

The king lead the group - his hand placing a small key back within the safety of his pocket - Marion and my other maids  behind.

Before the royal could fully cross the threshold of the room I could feel my actions racing - moving on their own to pull off the gray hued covers - and within moments faster than I could fully process it, I had made my way over to the male who stopped near the door.

I look up. His expression told me everything, how he had stopped to watch my swift actions - the smile telling of amusement.

"Good morning-"

"Children." I cut him off with shaking words — needing to affirm what I already knew was more than likely true.
"Do we have children?"

The room felt still, silent for a lasting second - and the king, clearly taken aback by my question, raises an amused and slightly confused brow, his head shaking.

"Not...at the moment, my dear. Why do you ask?" He responds slowly.

I swallow...though it was only partly in relief - my frame stepping back as I draw my eyes to the floor.

Deep breath in...exhale.

"It was a dream." I reassure myself a few times over, my words barely spoken but content with the newfound conformation.
I bring a hand up to and trace my collarbone. "Just a dream."

"(Y/n), is everything alright?" George's tone seemed reluctant, and I lift my gaze back to him and the older blonde - both whom seemed worried.

"Just a dream." I repeat and Marion raises a hand to graze my cheek.

"Are you certain? Dearie, you're as pale as a tea cup."

I nod, raising a small smile as if to relieve their caution. "My apologies." I speak slowly, taking the woman's hand.
"It was just...well, it was more like a sweetened nightmare."

"Would you like to talk about it?" The royal asks and I offer another faint smile...uncertain of how to explain something even I had mixed feelings for, however my gaze remains held towards the male.

"You and I were married- had been for some time, and we had three children..." my voice falters as I swallow, my eyes finding the floor. "three...very sweet and wonderful children. But they-" I shake my head, taking a breath. "I'm sorry...it must seem rather silly- to be frightened over something that wasn't true."

"Don't be, my dear."

I look up at the male's soft spoken response - his features holding a kind sadness under sympathy.

"That's nothing to be ashamed of, child." Marion speaks up, "If you ask me, you just cared for them is all- wether those children were imaginary or not, you still felt loss...and on top of whatever it was that frightened you in your dream."