~26~ Stories to dream Pt.2 Questions and concerns

*Edited: 6-27-2022*
Word count: 4722

The small boy was cradled in my arms - his lids heavy as he dozed into silent slumber.
My gaze was intent, watching the child with care that muffled the busy laughter of nearby by children.

The story I had shared was long concluded, and they now occupied their time by playing.

"I do apologize, m'lady." The boy's mother speaks up as she stops in front of me and I lift my gaze, offering a smile.

"There is nothing to apologize for."

"I should have payed closer attention, I did not intend for him to just run off."

"You did nothing wrong." I respond kindly, lifting the small boy a little higher as I hand him back to the older woman with care - my features soft as my gaze falls to his still face. "The lord works in mysterious ways...maybe he knew I just needed a small pick me up."

The woman hums, returning a smile as she cradles the boy. "Indeed he does. Thank you, again, for watching him. Good day, m'lady." She nods, rocking her child as she turns - and within moments of her walking away the feeling of butterflies returned, tugging and pinching at my nerves.

And there she was - a face recognized only breifly as I inhale a miniscule breath, my smile loosing face.

We lock eyes - her softer blue ones framed by her thick curls and her slightly tilted head - a pinching feeling. Restricted and still in my place aside from the features that wanted to be touched by fear — a smaller hand tugs my own.

"Your highness?" Annabeth asks, grabbing my attention and I hum warrily as I turn back to the two sisters standing closest to me - my simple action done perhaps a tad too swiftly.
"Are you ok?" She smiles and I nod, humming once more as I take a breath and kneel.

"Many apologies- just lost myself in thought. Did you need something?"

Annabeth giggles. "The story you told. Where did you hear it?"

"My grandmother." I answer, brushing back the girl's blonde hair. "It was a story she used to tell when my sister and I were very young- my mother used to tell it too."

"It is a very pretty story. May we share it with our mother?"

I smile, taking their hands in my own - Annabeth gently swinging them.

"Of course you may."

"Can we play now? Most of the other children are." Louisa asks - a red clad figure catching my peripheral as he stops behind the two.

"I'm afraid it is time for us to go." George chimes and I look up, along with the two girls - who do their best to show the king their cursties.

"Do you have to?" Louisa asks, looking back up as George flashes her a sympathetic smile.

I slowly stand.

"I am certain her highness would love to stay, however, there is some business we are needing to attend to."

The blonde pouts a little, her lips turned down and the two turn back to me. 

"Don't fret, I'll try and be back tomorrow morning, all right." I say and she nods.

"And may we play then?"
A young girl asks, another one stepping forward as she looks up at me with bright eyes.

"And make flower crowns?"

I smile, nodding as I clasp my hands in front of me and lean down.
"Of course, we can do all sorts of things tomorrow. And if I can, I'll even bring some flowers from the castle gardens."