~41~ You're my favorite subject

*Edited: Proofreading.*
Word count: 2694

~~~ October 12, 1777 ~~~

°
°
°

I tried to hide, run, escape from something - someone I couldn't.
I hid in every room, around every corner only to end up cornering myself whether I wanted to or not.

I had hidden myself in what looked to be a library type room, my back pressed up against the end of a cold bookshelf with my hands by my sides, my palms touching the seemingly frigid wood as I stood as still as possible, surrounded in a nerve ripping darkness as I kept my head tilted back and my eyes closed tightly - my only company the fireplace on the far side of the room, spreading it's dim orange glow across the floor and surfaces of the objects around it.

But, in the end it was my fault. I should've known he would have done a full sweep of the castle, his guards narrowing down my location with every room they checked.

Even in my golden cage I had nowhere to hide.

The soft sound of the door opening catches my attention like a pin dropping on the floor of a silent room, a small and quiet sound that made my heart beat pick up and pound against my chest, telling me of the dreaded fact that I was no longer alone in the room and my heart drops as I shakily exhale, my chest falling as my nerves stand on end.

"My love~" his silky voice was low, a dangerous tone hidden by a sweetened, honey-like overlay.

The soft clicking of the door signals it's closing of my only exit and the room falls silent, all except for my failing attempts to quiet uneven - shallow breaths.
I could feel myself starting to panic, quickly bringing my hands up and clasping them over my mouth a little too loudly.

Just another mistake I could add to my list.

And I knew the male had heard from the soft, airy - yet dry chuckle that left his lips.

"Scared, love?" He says in a mocking tone and I knew of the sly smile that sat on his face, a smile that sent shivers down my spine even without looking at it.
"I know you're in here my pet, it's pointless to try and hide from me angel so come on out. Maybe if you do I'll forget this whole thing ever happened...all can be forgiven- even you going behind my back."
His words were slow, calm, and yet all the more terrifying, just like his quiet steps, the clicking of his shoes echoing louder in my head as he walked.

He was too close for comfort.

I draw in and hold a breath, opening my eyes, which land on the fireplace.

The room was silent, too silent.

I exhale, slowly moving to peak around the corner of the bookshelf. The room was empty.

But I didn't feel relieved, the complete opposite as I knew he was in here - I could've sworn he was.

I furrow my brow in confusion and slight pain, biting my lip while seemingly studying the door — and despite my better judgement I move out from my place of safety, picking up my pace as I quickly make my way over to freedom.