~42~ Teaching a broken winged bird to fly

*Edited: Proofreading.*
Word count: 3776

I find this picture very fitting for this chapter;)

°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•

I stop by the door to the kitchen, and considering I could get lost in the castle fairly easily, I was proud of myself for remembering the directions from both the tour George had given me and Marion's talk with me last night.

I open the door and walk into the empty room, gently pulling the male behind me.
I had been silent the whole trip here due to feeling anxious, hoping George would like what I had in store.

I lead him over to one of the counters, turning to face him as I place my hands in front of me and take a small breath, looking up at his amused, yet curious blue eyes.

"I um..." my voice falters for a moment, "I never really...properly thanked you...for helping me with that- time." I say softly, my cheeks dusted a light red and I shy away.
"My grandmother used to say that the only way to properly thank someone is with something sweet and baked with care. But I wanted to do something a little different, maybe special? So I-I was wondering- as long as it's ok, if you wanted to bake something...together?"
Panic found my features - a moment taken to backtrack.
"Do not get me wrong. I know baking might not be very proper for royalty to-"

"Angel."

I look up as the male gently cups my cheek, his thumb leaving a careful caress and his smile was more than caring. "If it makes you happy, my darling, I'd love to spend my time doing something you love to do. With you." He says and the gap between us was partly closed my eyes wanting to study each feature.
"I'll warn you though, I've never baked before, so be thankful I'm a fast learner."

I chuckle, a small smile on my face. "You'd really love to?"

"I'd move entire countries for you if that's what you wanted. Of course I'd love to." His voice was kind - a hand patting my cheek.
"And besides, it should be a piece of cake, to bake a cake. Especially with such an experienced, kind, and breathtaking woman."

I hold back a chuckle - stopping myself from playfully rolling my eyes. "T-thank you for the compliment but, seriously?" I say, shaking my head as the male chuckles and I turn, calmly walking to the island counter - topped with different sized bowls, spoons, ingredients, and other items we would soon be needing, near the center of the kitchen and my hand reaches out to gently pull one of the bowls closer.

"Don't like my humor?" George pouts jokingly and I turn to lean against the island. I chuckle, holding the edge of the countertop.

"Well, it's not terrible..." I say kindly,
"But that is beside the point, and you're definitely not baking anything in that. There's a good chance that you and I will get dirty." I say, gesturing to his signature red jacket and vest.

"Oh really?" A hint of a smirk layed on his features and my eyes flick up.

"'Oh really' what?" I question, noticing the corners of his lips pull up into a small, slightly amused smile.

"My love." He exhales and I furrow my brow as my gaze falls —rethinking our conversation over in my head for a moment before my cheeks dust a deep red and I look up.

"Y-your majesty!?" I exclaim, bringing my right hand up to my mouth, my fingers touching my bottom lip. "T-that's not what I meant- at all!"

The male breaks out in amusement-filled laughter, tilting his head back and placing a hand on his chest as I watch his shoulders quickly rise and fall with each breath, my shock mixing with confusion.
His seemingly joyous laughter echoes around the kitchen, ringing in my ears as I swallow, an almost shocked expression on my face and I lower my hand.