~49~ Sleepless

*Edited: Proofreading*

Word count: 4052

Big thanks to my friends sskmskksksksksmsks for inspiring and to AnyaMae10 for helping with this chapter!

~~~ November 9, 1777 ~~~

°
°
°

Kate had braided my hair almost two hours ago. Marion had helped me with my nightgown, and George had tucked me into bed almost two hours ago.

I had laid there, curled in a loose ball under the warmth of the covers - my vision blocked by my closed eyelids while listening to the rain tap lightly against the windows from outside.
Yet, I couldn't sleep; for almost two hours I sat motionless, trying so desperately to get my mind to drift off but it never did - which didn't help my tired state, and I had no clue why.

My room was dark, the only light coming from the slits in the closed curtains on the two windows which cascaded the soft white-blue moonlight onto the floor.

I felt uneasy - almost scared or disappointed in myself as I lay on my left side in my bed, my head on the gray pillow while covered in the warm embrace of the sheets and covers. I stare at my pocketwatch with a nervous expression, my mind numb with thoughts as my thumb grazes over its face.

I go back through the 'uneventful' days of the last few weeks in my head - which mainly consisted of being carried everywhere, cuddling or sitting by the fire, on the couch, or on the bed, picnics on the balcony or outside every few days, doctors visits, being read to, or being held.

All of which involved a certain male that had been on my mind for many reasons —

A soft breath leaves my lips as a sharp, yet still soft knock sounds from the doorn - snapping me from my thoughts as my gaze flicks up to my window.
I slowly sit up, my hands resting in my lap as I look at the door and the soft yellow light the seeped in from under it.
I exhale away the nervous feeling in my chest, slowly pulling the covers off my frame as I slide off the bed and stand on the cool floor beneath me.
My gaze falls and I run my thumb over the face of my watch before setting it down on the nightstand and turning on my heel as I dust off my nightgown and walk over to the door with slight caution.

I open it slowly as my eyes land on a blonde female and two guards, their frames illuminated by the small lamp she held in her hand - the small fire seemingly dancing on the wick of the candle inside.

"Marion..." I breathe, my voice soft and laced with a not-so-pleasent lack of sleep.

She smiles a kind smile, setting the lamp on the floor - the handle gently clinking against the metal corners as it falls.

She looked tired, her green eyes no more than half lidded while her blonde hair fell down her back in loose, messy curls. She wore a small, dark colored shall-like cloak that was draped over her shoulders, the front being held together by her left hand - a similar, dark gray blanket hanging over her left arm, to hide the simple, white nightgown that covered her pale skin.

"I'm so sorry to have to wake you at such an hour dearie." She says, trying to keep away the sleep that laced her words together and I shake my head, opening the door wider before stepping a little ways into the hall.

"No, please don't apologize, you're alright. I couldn't sleep anyways." I say shyly, my braided hair falling over my shoulder. "Is something wrong?"