Chapter 20: The New Avenger

Y/n's POV:

I sit in physics, feeling uncomfortable because Ezra is in this class. I've avoided him all day, even during the other two classes we share. I know I need to apologize but I don't know how. The teacher explains the lab we have to conduct then sends us off to find a lab partner. "Two people per table," she instructs.

I stroll over to an empty table and wait for my usual partner to show up. I feel a presence on the opposite side of the table and look up, expecting to see her. My face flushes when I see someone else in her place.

"Hey... I switched with Elena, I hope that's okay," Ezra hopefully speaks.

I grin awkwardly and nod. I begin to set up the equipment and he just studies me, staying silent for a while until he decides to speak up.

"We need to talk," he declares.

"I know," I sigh.

"Why did you ditch me last night? I thought we were having a good time," he says as he pours liquid into a graduated cylinder.

"We were! I was! I told you, something came up..."

"Look, you don't have to lie. If you weren't feeling it-"

"No, I'm not lying. It wasn't that. Something happened, something personal... I can't talk about it, okay? It had nothing to do with you," I interject.

Ezra sighs, looking somewhat relieved but not 100% convinced. "Okay, I get it... but to be honest, I didn't feel like you were all there."

I furrow my eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"It was like you were with me but you weren't. Like your mind was somewhere else," he explains. I look down, feeling somewhat embarrassed. I can't believe I'm so transparent that even he noticed my inner war. "Does it have to do with that guy?" he inquires.

"What guy?" Maybe he saw me run after Peter. He pulls out his phone and opens Safari. He shows me the screen, which has an article with a photo of Jonathan and me. Oh, that guy. My heart clenches as I view the photo and it must be evident on my face because Ezra makes a comment. "It is because of him," he sighs. I remain quiet.

"I read an article that talked about you and him, your life before the incident. So, I guess I understand why you're not really into me."

I finally look up at him, feeling awful for hurting him. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to lead you on, I just-"

"It's okay," he assures me. "If you don't mind, I'd love for us to be friends," he requests. I smile at him, grateful for how understanding he is. He really does deserve the world, I just can't be the one to give it to him. "I'd love that," I respond. We both smile and finish our experiment. As we're writing down our observations, the teacher suddenly calls my name.

"Y/n, someone's here to pick you up. You're going home," she tells me. I pack up my stuff and say bye to Ezra before exiting the room and heading to the office. I already know why I'm going home early and I'm pretty excited. When I arrive, I see Happy waiting for me and we walk out of the school and to the car. Peter is there waiting for us.

"Y/n? What's going on, why are we both leaving?" he curiously asks. I only shrug.

•~•~•~•

"Take a look. It's pretty impressive, huh?" Happy notes as we near the compound. Peter leans forward in his seat as he ogles at the facility, amazed. "They just finished remodeling the whole thing."

Peter leans back and watches the building from the window. I giggle at the astounded look on his face. He whips his head around to face me and comments, "I can't believe you live here!"