Chapter 34: Thank You, Steve

I can't believe it's been 2 years since Endgame came out. I'm still not over it 😔 A sad song because I miss Steve 😅 ^

-

-

"No promises. See you in a minute, old man."

He weakly smiles and I see a hint of sadness in his eyes. Why is he acting like this is goodbye? He steps onto the Quantum Portal and taps his wrist, making a white suit appear over his blue one. "How long is this gonna take?" Sam questions.

"For him, as long as he needs. For us, five seconds," Bruce confirms. Steve turns around and picks up Mjolnir. Of course he's worthy of picking up that hammer, that's no surprise. "You ready, Cap?" Bruce asks, to which Steve nods. "Alright, we'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet," Steve states before a helmet appears over his head. I can't wait for him to come back and tell me all about what happened, especially in Hawkins.

"Going quantum. Three, two, one," Bruce counts down. Sam and I exchange glances as he counts. Cap disappears into the portal. "And returning in five, four, three, two, one."

I become nervous when Steve doesn't appear on the pad. What the fuck? "Where is he?" Sam questions.

"I don't know. He blew right by his time stamp, he should be here," Bruce responds, messing with his equipment.

"Well, can't you do something to bring him back?" I eagerly ask.

"Working on it," Bruce responds.

"Well, get him back," Sam adds.

"I'm trying!"

"Get him the hell back!" Sam and I exclaim.

"Hey, I said I'm trying!"

"Sam," Bucky's voice sounds, making us turn to him. Sam and I walk to his side and look into the distance, spotting what he's looking at. A man sits on a bench as he stares at the water. The three of us walk closer and pause a few feet away from him. "Go ahead," Bucky utters. We turn to him and he looks back at us with an encouraging smile. Sam listens and approaches the man on the bench but I stay put. "You too," Bucky speaks again. My head snaps to him in shock.

He faces me with that same smile, nodding his head toward the man. I step toward them and stand at Sam's side. I curiously eye the elderly man on the bench. I feel like I know him. Please tell me this isn't who I think this is.

"Cap?" Sam asks.

"Hi, Sam," the old man replies before facing him. He locks eyes with me next and I stare back with my mouth agape. "Hi, y/n."

"Steve, is that really you?" I mutter. He grins and nods his head.

"So did something go wrong or did something go right?" Sam questions.

"Well, after I put the stones back, I thought maybe I'll try some of that life Tony was telling me to get," Cap explains. I let his words sink in but have trouble processing the information.

"How'd that work out for you?" Sam questions.

Cap nods his head before answering, "it was beautiful." I stay silent, just listening to their conversation. I can't believe what I'm hearing, what I'm seeing.

"Good, I'm happy for you. Truly."

"Thank you," Steve whispers. I don't know how I feel about this. Steve deserves all the happiness in the world and I'm glad he sought that out but what about everything he told me? He said we had to move forward and that this was his home. What made him throw all that out the window?