Chapter 41: Now in Color

The doctor listens to Wanda's belly with a stethoscope. "Hmm," he mumbles. Tony and I stand behind the couch and furrow our eyebrows. Dr. Nielsen moves the stethoscope to another spot. "Hmm," he hums again. Tony and I exchange confused glances. "Yep! Definitely pregnant," the doctor concludes, getting up.

"Oh," Wanda chuckles. "Well, that much we figured."

"I came to that diagnosis without a stethoscope. Maybe I should be a doctor," I remark while the doctor packs his bag.

"It's just kind of taken us by surprise. It's just kind of suddenly. Quite suddenly, wasn't it?" Vision looks at Wanda before resuming. "I mean, practically overnight. I mean..." he stutters. "How did this happen?"

"You see, when a man and a woman love each other very much..." Dr. Nielsen begins to explain. The couple exchanges a look before Wanda gets up.

"Well, we're just tickled pink... or blue," she chirps.

"You're at about four months now. Is that right?" the doctor asks. Vision shakes his head while the rest of us nod. He nods along when Wanda gazes at him. "I thought as much. We let the little ladies keep tabs on their growing babies with fruit. Makes it simple for them," the doctor claims. Wanda and Vision give each other a look, Tony and I doing the same. "At four months, the fetus is about as big as a pear. At five months, a papaya. Six, grapefruit. Seven, pineapple. Eight, honeydew," Dr. Nielsen conveys, hovering his hand over Wanda's tummy at the end.

"Hypothetically speaking, what size fruit would it be at say, hmm, 12 hours?" Vision inquires.

"Uh, pardon? 12 hours?"

"Well, I think this line of questioning is fruitless!" Tony comments, making Wanda and I chuckle along. Wanda nears the doctor to walk him out.

"Well, hypothetically speaking, should we be concerned?" Vision questions again, making the doctor pause.

"Hypothetically speaking, every new father-to-be gets nervous," Dr. Nielsen replies before acknowledging Tony. "I'm sure you know all about that," he chuckles. Tony chuckles in return, looking down in confusion.

"Well, I have nerves of steel, so there goes your theory, Mr. Doctor," Vision gets defensive.

"Vision, why don't you see the doctor out?" Wanda pipes up.

"Good idea. Yes," Vision utters, walking out with the doctor. "Thank you so much for dropping by, Dr. Nielsen."

Wanda looks down at her belly and rubs it. She looks at me and Tony and we all gleam as we walk to the kitchen. "Huh," Tony suddenly mutters.

"What?" I ask as I start cleaning up the kitchen. He furrows his eyebrows.

"It's just... I can't remember that 'new father-to-be' feeling... Why don't I remember when you were born?"

I shrug and act nonchalant as I organize the spice cabinet. "Well, it was 16 years ago, dad... pass me the pepper," I point to the pepper. He grabs it and hands it to me before a hesitant look appears on his face.

"Pepper... I know someone named Pepper, don't I? They meant a lot to me..." he stares at me with a lost expression. I stare back, getting nervous.

I slightly shake my head and choke out, "I-"

"Huh," Vision's voice sounds, interrupting the intense moment. Oh, thank goodness. He steps inside and shuts the door. "Strangest thing just happened outside with Herb- Woah, Nelly!" he shouts when he spots Wanda. "Have you gotten bigger?"