Chapter 61: Strange Surprises

I'm a nervous wreck as I step out of the courtroom. I was informed of my charges and I pleaded not guilty, as my lawyer advised me to do. Of course I have a guilty conscience and am aware of the harm I've done, but some of the charges are ridiculous. No matter how horrible I feel about what I did, I won't allow anyone to villainize me again. Not after Hayward. The lawyer discusses the case with Pepper and I for a few minutes before she leaves. Once she's gone, all of my friends and family surround me. "Hey, everything's going to be fine, okay? You're gonna get out of this one," Jonathan reassures me, gripping my shoulder.

"We'll be with you every step of the way," Nancy adds, giving me a sweet smile. I nod my head, trying to hide my anxiety even though I know they can see through me. I thank them and Jonathan lets go of my shoulder. I turn to my left when a different voice captures my attention and see the party. They all start speaking, trying to comfort me and assure me that everything will be fine. I thank them as well and move on to May and Peter.

"Hi, sweetie," May softly voices, pulling me into a soothing hug. "How are you holding up?" she asks, her hands now gripping my biceps. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel.

"I'm okay," I respond, smiling politely. May returns the smile and rubs my arm.

"Okay. If you ever need anything, we're always here, alright?" she insists. Her kindness causes a warm feeling to fill my chest. I don't really deserve her kindness so it means so much coming from her.

"Thank you," I utter before she gives me another hug. She walks off to talk to Happy and Pepper, leaving me alone with Peter. He stands there awkwardly with his hands in his pockets as he stares at me. "Hey," I speak up.

"Hey," he timidly responds. I find it funny how he gets shy around me from time to time. You would think he'd be used to being around me by now, but I get it though because sometimes I feel that way around him. I guess that's just how it is when you like someone. "So, uh... I know everyone's saying the same thing. You know, how everything's gonna be fine and to not worry about it... you're probably kind of tired of hearing it, right?" he pipes up, chortling.

I lightly chuckle and mutter, "yeah, uh, kind of. I know everyone means well but... it gets a little overwhelming."

Peter nods his head in understanding. "Well, then, I'll say this instead... once we get this over with, we'll go to school like normal kids, and do normal things like go to the movies or buy sandwiches from Delmar's, and swing- or fly around the city together," he voices. I giggle at his words and he looks up into space, a puzzled look forming on his face. "Was that actually any better than the 'everything will be fine' thing?" he questions himself, making me giggle again.

"Yeah, it was... and I'm pretty sure swinging and flying around the city isn't really normal," I point out with a small grin.

Peter shrugs, staying silent for a moment. "I think it's pretty normal compared to space gods and hopping through portals," he counters. We both lightly laugh and I shake my head. I'm really glad he's here. Just this short conversation managed to make me feel better. A strange feeling of being watched suddenly hits me. It's like someone's eyes are burning holes into the side of my face, so I turn my head to the left to see who it is.

My eyes scan the room for a second before meeting a pair of familiar brown ones, which belong to Jonathan. He's gazing at me with an unreadable expression but slightly smiles when he realizes I'm looking back at him. I return the smile, wondering what he's thinking about. My phone suddenly starts vibrating in my pocket, making me tear my eyes away from him. I check the caller ID and am surprised when I read the name. "Uh, I have to take this," I excuse myself from Peter as I step away.

"Yeah, of course," he utters. I walk away, separating myself from the group so I can talk. I slide my finger across the screen to answer the call and press the phone against my ear.