Chapter 40: For the Children Part 2

Your talent show dress ^

-

-

Music plays on the radio as Wanda and I clean up for Dottie. I didn't want to, I almost told Dottie to go to hell but Wanda begged me to stay with her. I could never leave her alone when she needs me. I sweep while she places a heavy tray of used dishes on the table. "And that is why you never do a seating chart on an empty stomach," Dottie voices.

Wanda walks back over to pick up more items and smiles. "Golly, you're a whiz at all this committee stuff, Dottie. Thank you for choosing me to help you clean up today, I feel so lucky," she kisses up.

"You are," Dottie answers. I roll my eyes.

"Yes, this is such an educational experience for me... and for you! Watching me sweep so you can know how to do it yourself next time!" I fire, mocking her voice. Wanda suddenly releases a boisterous laugh.

"AHA... what she means to say is thank you," she lies. Dottie narrows her eyes and gives us a forced smile. "I can't help but wonder if you and I haven't gotten off on the wrong foot, Dottie. And I would like to correct that if I can," Wanda mentions, stepping toward her.

"And how would you do that?" Dottie asks. I roll my eyes while Wanda nervously chuckles. Dottie stands up and says, "I've heard things about you two..." We furrow our eyebrows as we watch her. "And about your husband, and your father."

I approach her and stop in front of her. "Say what you want about me, but keep my father's name out of your mouth," I warn. Wanda stands next to me and pats my arm.

"Well, I don't know what you have been told... but I assure you we don't mean anyone any harm."

"I don't believe you," Dottie tells her. We just stare at her dumbfounded while she glares back at us. The radio begins to crackle as the song changes and an unfamiliar voice sounds through it.

"Wanda. Wanda, can you read me? Over," it says over the music. "Wanda? Y/n?"

"Who is that?" Dottie questions.

"Y/n?"

Dottie looks at us with a scared expression. "Who are you?"

"Y/n? Wanda? Who is doing this to you, Wanda? Y/n? Wanda? Y-"

The radio blows a fuse, making the voice stop. Dottie breaks her glass at the same time, cutting her hand. We all gasp in shock. "Dottie!" Wanda exclaims. She opens her hand to reveal red blood. I stare at it, confused as to why it's not in black and white. Wanda continues to stutter.

"You... Oh!" she voices, rushing to grab a cloth and handing it to Dottie.

"Are you alright?" I ask.

Dottie ignores my question and takes the cloth. "Pop quiz, Wanda." Wanda and I gaze at her in confusion. "How does a housewife get a bloodstain out of white linen?" she asks.

"By burning it?" I suggest, confused as to why she's asking that. Dottie shakes her head.

"By doing it herself," she states before sauntering away. Wanda and I just stand there, bewildered by what just happened.

🎥🎥🎥

It's almost time for our performance. After the whole Dottie situation, I went home and rehearsed with Peter and Tony. Peter got the song and dance very fast. We stand backstage and I take a deep breath, trying to calm down. Tony notices and says, "Hey, don't worry, sweetie. We got this! After all, we are Starks... and us Starks are-"