Chapter 67: Freaky Friday

A few days later

I sit in photography, reading a book since there's no assignment today. The bell suddenly rings, so I place my bookmark inside my book and shut it before stuffing it into my backpack. I stand up and grab my camera, putting the strap around my neck as I head toward the door. As soon as I take a few steps out of the classroom, I hear a familiar voice.

"Hey! Y/n!" he calls. I beam when I see Peter standing beside the door.

"Hey! You were waiting for me?" I ask, even though it's obvious that he was. He hesitates to answer and a timid look forms on his face.

"Y-yeah... you know, I thought we could walk to the cafeteria together," he responds, trying to sound casual.

I tilt my head and give him a teasing smile. "Aww, someone couldn't wait to see me." A hint of pink covers his cheeks as he chuckles nervously.

"Shut up," he chuckles, making me laugh.

"Come on," I voice, nodding my head in the direction of the cafeteria. I grab his hand and we begin walking through the hall silently, just enjoying each other's company. We glance at each other and smile before facing forward again. This is pretty new for both of us so I guess we're a bit shy. I haven't been with anyone since Jonathan and that was almost 40 years ago... and Peter's generally awkward but I don't know anything about his dating history.

"Oh!" Peter pipes up, making me glance at him. "So tonight, I was thinking we could get some snacks and watch a movie or something at my house. You know, like we used to do," he suggests. I nod, remembering our tv/movie marathons.

"Ooo, staying in. Yeah, that sounds fun," I reply. Peter smiles at this. "Exactly like we used to. So does that mean I'm sleeping over too?" I question in a singsong voice. I would sleep over every time we stayed up late watching movies.

"Uh..." Peter chuckles awkwardly and I refrain from smirking. "I mean, I wouldn't mind but I don't know how May would feel about it now that we're dating."

"Mm." I nod. "Yeah, I don't think Pepper would be too crazy about the idea either," I claim. The cafeteria doors are in view but I halt, making Peter stop and face me. "So... I'll bring the candy," I state, smiling.

"I'll order the pizza," Peter replies.

"Perfect."

"Perfect," Peter repeats. We just stand there and gleam at one another for a few seconds before I snap out of it. I lightly tug on his hand and nod toward the doors, making Peter come back to reality too. We proceed to walk again and stride into the cafeteria, going straight to our usual table where MJ and Ned are sitting.

"Hey, guys," we greet as we sit across from them.

"Hey!"

"Sup, dorks."

"What are you guys talking about?" I ask as I take two sandwiches out of my backpack. I hand one to Peter before looking at our friends. They flicker their eyes between us. MJ is smirking while Ned gives us a satisfied grin.

"You," MJ bluntly answers. Peter and I share a baffled look before turning back to her.

"Us?" We ask simultaneously. They both nod. "What about us?" I question.

"I was just saying how looong it took you two to get together. I mean, six years is just- wow. You were giving Ross and Rachel a run for their money," MJ deadpans.

"We blipped," I point out defensively.

"Yeah, we were literally dead for five of those years," Peter adds.