Chapter 59: Like We're Stupid Teenagers

I apologize for when I take a few days or like a week to update. My brain is little fried and sometimes I need a little time to figure out what I'm going to write next. I don't want to rush and give y'all crappy content. Thank you for reading 🤍

-

-

I was able to watch one episode before Pepper came back and am currently on the second one. I'm guessing Midtown and Morgan's school aren't very close to each other. She hangs up her keys before slowly approaching me. I keep my eyes on the tv, scared to look at her. "What are you watching?" Pepper casually asks as she stands behind the couch.

"Cobra Kai," I simply answer.

"Oh, I've heard of it. It's based on The Karate Kid, right?"

I nod my head and reply, "yeah, it's the original characters but in today's world... and there are new younger characters too. I came here for Daniel and Johnny but I actually really love the younger characters too."

Pepper slightly giggles at this. "Yeah, I know how much you love Ralph Macchio," she notes. I only smile and nod my head. I find it kind of weird how casual she's being. She's trying to pretend everything is normal when I know what she's really thinking. I know she wants me to stay home because she's afraid I'll disappear again. "Do you want some breakfast? I could make you something," she suggests, making her way to the kitchen.

"Oh, no, it's fine. I'll eat something later," I respond. She nods and continues walking and I quickly pause the tv. I turn my body on the couch so I'm facing Pepper's direction. "Um, Pep?" I call out. She whirls around and looks at me, waiting for me to continue speaking. "I know you're worried about me, and you think that I'm gonna run away and take over another town or something..." I commence. She makes a face as if what I'm saying is completely untrue.

"Which is why you want to keep me in here, but you don't have to worry about that. Trust me, I'm not going to repeat that mistake, especially after knowing how I affected all those people... and I'd like to go back to school. Maybe tomorrow or the day after that but I just want to return to normal."

Pepper has a hesitant look on her face and she walks back over to me. She sits next to me on the couch, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Sweetie, it's not that I don't trust you. I know you wouldn't do that again. I guess I'm just scared to lose you again, it was terrifying the first time. Losing a child is a mother's greatest fear, and when it happened with you... I felt like I failed you and him," she explains. My eyes dart to her when she utters that last sentence. I know exactly who she means. "It's my first time being without him and now I have to raise you and Morgan on my own... and I lost you within the first three weeks. What would he say about that?" she says, starting to get emotional. My heart sinks at this.

"He'd say that it wasn't your fault. I mean, how do you control a daughter with powers like these?" I ask, holding my hands up. "There is no way you could've known what would happen. Hell, I didn't even plan it and neither did Wanda. What we did is on us, we were grieving and weren't thinking clearly. None of it is your fault and Tony knows that," I rant. Pepper gives me a questioning look.

"What do you mean, he knows that?"

My face falls in shock. I walked right into that one. I guess the time has come for me to tell her the truth. I take a deep breath before I start talking. "Okay, um, so you know that Wanda and I accidentally created our own reality," I begin, to which she nods. "How much do you know about that?"

"Uh, not much. No one would tell me anything. I just know that it was a sitcom and Peter was stuck in there for a while, and that Vision was there and the SWORD director wanted him... but he's gone now," she replies with a shrug. I slightly nod. As I suspected, no one told her about Tony.