Chapter 88: If You Were Good Enough

"You are just a scared little kid in a sweatsuit, Peter. And you, y/n, are just broken."

The Spider-Men get off of Peter and disappear when he straightens up. His suit turned into his old homemade red and blue sweatsuit. Y/n's duplicates suddenly stop blasting her and disappear as well, leaving her panting on the floor. She strains to get back on her feet and Peter rushes over to her, helping her up. They glance all around them, seeing that they're now standing on a fallen stone statue of Captain America. Y/n feels a pang in her chest when her eyes land on Steve's giant stone head.

"I created Mysterio to give the world someone to believe in. I control the truth. Mysterio is the truth."

The two look up, seeing a huge statue of Mysterio standing in front of them. They suddenly hear a boom behind them, making them spin around to see Mysterio there. He blasts green energy at the couple, making Peter backflip away to avoid getting hit. Y/n bends all the way back, her hand touching the ground before straightening back up. She shoots magic at Mysterio and takes off into the air. 

She and Peter get into a battle with him, the boy jumping around and shooting webs while y/n and Mysterio fly around, blasting green and purple beams. Peter fires two webs at Mysterio. Thinking he got him, he pulls on them, breaking part of the illusion as Mysterio disappears and a giant crane falls toward them.

The pair jumps out of the way right before the crane collides with the ground. What the hell, can this just stop already? y/n thinks, not being able to take any more of this. She looks up, spotting Mysterio flying at her and Peter in the sky. He blasts green energy at them so they jump out of the way. Y/n blasts him back but the purple beam goes right through him. 

Oh, this is bullshit, she thinks. Mysterio continues to fire green lasers at them while they dodge each one. The two collapse on the ground and quickly get back on their feet, seeing a giant stone fist in front of them. The fist starts to collapse in their direction, making the two shriek and fall back. Y/n briskly lifts her hands and forms a forcefield around them.

Right when the fist hits the forcefield, it disappears in a cloud of dust. Y/n drops the forcefield, her eyes darting all above her in surprise. Peter lifts his head, his eyes widening when he sees a headstone in front of him. Y/n lowers her gaze, her eyes landing on it as well. Her heart stops when she reads the words engraved in the stone: "Anthony Edward Stark."

"If either of you were good enough, maybe Tony would still be alive."

Both teens feel their hearts being ripped out of their chests when Beck says this. They can't help but consider his words. Darkness and grief wash over y/n as she stares at the grave, very similar to how she felt all those months ago when she lost her dad... very similar to how she felt when she created that sitcom reality. Out of the blue, a hand shoots out of the grave, causing the pair to fall back in surprise. They fearfully yell and crawl away as a corpse in a destroyed Iron Man suit crawls out of the grave toward them. Y/n panics as the corpse lifts its head and looks at them. It's as if Tony's mad at her for letting him die.

Spiders crawl all over Tony's skull and one of them jumps at the pair. They feel disoriented as the spider's multiple eyes somehow turn into an army of Mysterios marching forward. "Deep down, you know I'm right."

The illusion zooms into a golden eye on Mysterio's suit. The eye blinks and when it opens, Peter and y/n appear running, trying to escape the illusion. They suddenly crash into some sort of invisible barrier and fall back. They land in a pile of snow, which confuses them. Skyscrapers start shooting up from the snow, making the two grunt as they squirm around, trying to not get hit by one of them.

"You made your choice. And all you had to do was step aside."

The couple is inside a snow globe, which turns out to be Mysterio's crystal ball head. He raises his hands and grabs his head, removing it from his body and lowering it to his torso. "And now you have-"