Chapter 83: Nothing to Say

Peter and I sit next to Beck as we sip our lemonades in a bar. I would've preferred something a little stronger but Beck wanted to be "responsible" and order me a non-alcoholic drink. "Hey," he suddenly speaks up, making us snap our heads to him. He leans forward and slaps his hand onto Peter's shoulder, looking between us. "You gotta celebrate. We did something good tonight."

"Yeah," Peter and I whisper while Beck pats his shoulder. Peter scratches his nose before claiming, "Fury was right. Tony did a lot for me so... I owe it to him, to everybody." I place my hand on his arm, rubbing it soothingly.

"Same... He did a lot for me too, he was like a father to me. I think he'd want me to step up, or both of us," I share, nodding my head toward Peter. "And it's about time I start doing some good in the world again... I owe everyone too." Fury's words are on repeat in my head. Were Tony and Steve wrong about me? I can't fail them.

"Do you?" Beck questions.

"Yeah," we respond in unison, sounding certain.

"I mean..." Peter commences, shaking his head and straightening his posture. "Mr. Stark gave us the chance to be more. He wanted me to be better than him. He thought she was better than him," he claims, pointing to me. I slightly raise my eyebrows in surprise. Did Tony really think that? "And Fury just wants us to live up to that," Peter concludes.

"What do you two want?" Beck pipes up.

We both turn to him, confused. "What do you mean?" I ask.

"What do you want?" he repeats, gazing between us.

I shrug while Peter scoffs. We share a look, not knowing how to respond. I know what I want but I don't know if I want to say it out loud.

"Um..."

"I don't know."

We simultaneously reply. Not satisfied with our answers, Beck continues to press. "What do you want? You. Peter Parker. Y/n Sinclair. Now. I know you guys are thinking about it." I just lift my glass and sip on my straw, not feeling pressured into answering.

Peter, on the other hand, breaks. "I wanna go on my trip, right?" he blurts, turning his body to face the older man. "I wanna go back on my trip with my friends. And spend time with my girlfriend," he states. I smile at this, his statement makes my heart flutter. "Go to the top of the Eiffel Tower and tell-" he cuts himself off and sighs. I gaze at him skeptically, wondering what he was going to say.

"What?" I ask.

He turns to me with a stunned expression. "N-nothing. It's nothing," he dismisses, slightly shaking his head.

I quirk an eyebrow at him. I'm still curious but decide to let it go for now. "Okay...? Well, I want the same thing. We still need to take more pictures," I express, grinning at him. Peter chuckles at this.

"Yeah, we do," he replies, smiling softly.

"Hmm," Beck hums in a singsong voice, making us glance at him to see him giving us a teasing grin.

Peter gets shy all of a sudden. "Shut up, man," he nervously chuckles, causing us to laugh. I playfully nudge his arm and his face begins to redden.

"You guys aren't gonna do that, are you?"

My smile gradually fades and Peter and I share a look, both thinking the same thing. "Probably not... I don't think we can," I answer disappointedly.

"Why not??" Beck questions, slightly raising his voice.

"Because we have too much of a responsibility!" Peter claims. Out of the blue, a woman approaches and bends down, picking something up from the floor. She holds it out to Peter and says something to him in Czech. I peer over his shoulder to look at the item, discovering that it's the EDITH glasses. "Oh, my God. Thank you so much," he thanks her, taking the glasses. The woman smiles and strides away.