Chapter 58: You Remember That?

I apply hairspray all over my hair, making sure I use enough so my hairdo stays in place

I apply hairspray all over my hair, making sure I use enough so my hairdo stays in place. I set down the bottle and touch and examine my hair, smiling in satisfaction. I grab my perfume next and sing along to the song playing on my radio while spraying the fragrance on myself. Then I fetch my heels from my closet and slip them on before checking my appearance in the mirror. I know it's just the Snow Ball and I'm only volunteering, but why not look good for that? I spin around and grab my camera before heading to the door, leaving my room to go show my mom.

I hear a voice when I pass by Lucas's room, making me halt and walk back, peering through his open door. Lucas paces in front of his mirror, mumbling incoherent sentences before he stops and stares at his reflection. "Hey... wanna dance?" he asks his reflection with a dorky smile and his hands on his hips. "No," he murmurs, shaking his head. Oh, my God, how cute. He's practicing how to ask Max to dance. He mutters to himself again, thinking of another way to ask her before looking into the mirror once more.

"We should, uh, you know, get out there, like, do our thing... stop," he phrases, dancing a little before he cuts himself off. I try my best to not laugh out loud so he doesn't see me. I continue to watch him struggle. At one point he points at the mirror and opens his mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. This is too amusing, it's getting harder to hold in my laughter. Suddenly, Erica appears at my side and peeks in, immediately looking weirded out when she sees Lucas. Oh, no, she's going to make me break. Lucas smiles at his reflection and says, "I love this song. You?"

"Yeah, I love it. But not as much as I love you, Lukey," Erica teases in a fake innocent voice, making him turn around. I immediately burst into laughter and high-five Erica. Damn it, I knew she'd make me break.

Lucas storms over yelling, "get out of my room!"

He slams the door in our faces and I turn to my sister. "Nice one," I chuckle. I place my hand on her shoulder and guide her away. All of a sudden, Lucas swings his door open and calls my name.

"Wait, y/n."

I stop in my tracks and turn around while Erica keeps walking. "What's up?"

Lucas fidgets with his fingers, seemingly nervous to say what's on his mind. "Uh... if you were a girl- I mean, not that you're not a girl," he starts. I just nod and cross my arms, amused by his awkwardness already. "How would you want to be asked to dance?" he asks.

"Mm," I hum, unfolding my arms and placing my hands on my hips. "I would just want the person to simply ask: 'hey, would you like to dance?" He looks at me as if I just grew a second head.

"Really? That's it?" 

"Yup. Look, Lucas, you're overthinking it. If you just clearly and respectfully ask, I'm sure Max will say yes. Okay? None of that extra stuff, just keep it simple," I advise. Lucas nods as he takes in the information.