Chapter 25: Jonathan Byers

These are a few flashbacks of y/n in the 80s from Jonathan's point of view, plus some of his thoughts as well. I just thought this was an interesting way to reveal more of what y/n experienced during her "Stranger Things" days. 

Flashbacks are italicized but to make it easier to follow, I will put a '☁️' before and after each flashback so you know where it starts and ends. 

-

-

Jonathan's POV:

I can't believe she's an Avenger now. I remember the day it was announced. It was on every tv and computer screen at work and everyone was so invested in the news. Nancy and I were so ecstatic and defended her against anyone who criticized her. Now that her abilities are no longer limited, I know she will be one of the most powerful superheroes ever. She was already powerful back then, I can't even imagine how much stronger she is now.

☁️

Everyone ran out of firecrackers so we all just watch as y/n takes the Mind Flayer on her own. I stare in a mixture of fear and awe as she radiates a purple light. Multiple tentacles fly at her and a purple shell of energy forms around them, pushing back and blocking them from reaching her. Oh, God, I hope the gate closes before she drains. If something happens to her, I don't know what I'll do. All of a sudden, the monster starts stumbling around, hitting the railing where Steve and Robin are, before collapsing on the ground with a loud thud. I peer over the railing and see it limp on the floor. My eyes flicker to y/n, who's on her knees. "Y/n!" I exclaim before running down the stairs.

I make it in no time and rush to her. "Y/n! Y/n, are you okay?" I call out as I crouch down in front of her and grasp her shoulders. She looks up at me and I notice the blood streaming from her nose and ears. I cup her face with my hands.

"Jonathan," she breathes out, embracing me in a hug. I hold her tightly and kiss her head, relieved that she's alright.

"Don't ever scare me like that again," I utter. She nods and I continue to hold her, never wanting to let go. We stay like this until the military barges in and I help her outside to an ambulance.

☁️

She wasn't fully charged yet was able to hold the Mind Flayer back for so long. Not only was she strong, but she was full of life too. She never failed to brighten up my day.

☁️

Mrs. Sinclair lets me inside and I hear music blasting. "She's in the kitchen," she lets me know before walking away. "Thanks," I return. I walk into the kitchen and find y/n putting dishes away while singing and dancing around to Shalamar. I just stand there watching her with an amused grin on my face. She looks up and realizes I'm here. She looks startled for a second but breaks out into a big smile and continues to sing. She dances her way over to me and grabs my hand, pulling me to her.

"So now my love to you, baby, I surrender..." she sings as she dances. "Come on, Jonathan, dance! I know you know this song," she claims. I chuckle and shake my head. This song does make me want to move but I'm not much of a dancer. Y/n glares at me for a second. "At least sing."

She wraps her arms around me as she sways her body from side to side. "Celebrations in the heart 'cause we're united," she commences singing, and I finally give in.