Chapter 75: AmethystSpider

Everyone is gathered in the hotel lobby, either watching the news or doing research to figure out what that creature was. Meanwhile, Peter and I are talking on the phone with our loved ones. I'm outside standing in front of the hotel entrance and have a perfect view of Peter, who's inside by the stairwell. I had a short conversation with Bucky and Sam, who called me when they heard about the incident on the news. Then I called Pepper and Morgan to let them know I'm alright.

"I love you too... Okay, bye," I tell Pepper before hanging up. I throw my head back and sigh. My phone starts vibrating, making me look down at it. I stop breathing when I see who's calling. I look through the glass door at Peter, who's invested in his phone call, before switching my eyes to my phone again. I glide my thumb across the screen to answer it and press the phone against my ear. "Hey, Jonathan. What's up?"

"I just saw the news. Is everyone okay?" he worriedly asks.

"Yeah, everyone's fine. That thing is gone now," I assure him.

I hear him sigh in relief. "I saw videos of you fighting it. Who was that other guy?"

"I don't know. He's new, I've never seen him before," I answer. I wonder if he's like me and Wanda... or like Doctor Strange.

"Is he like you?" Jonathan asks. It's like he read my mind.

I shake my head. "I have no idea. He might be," I respond uncertainly. There's silence on his end for a few seconds.

"So, uh, did your spider-friend help out?" he asks.

"Oh, no, he's in New York," I chuckle.

"Mhm," Jonathan hums in a knowing tone. "But he's in your class. I imagine he'd be on the school trip too," he adds. My breath catches in my throat. Oh, shit... he knows. There's no point in denying it now.

"How'd you know?" I ask.

He chuckles lightly. "My wife's a reporter, y/n. I've learned a few things from her," he claims. I swallow hard. Wife. That's still kind of weird. "He's your best friend, you're with him all the time, and Amethyst and Spider-Man seem to be really close too... It only made sense that it was Peter."

I slightly chuckle. I shouldn't be surprised that he figured it out, he's always been too smart for his own good. "So that means Nancy knows too," I state.

"Yup."

"Hmm," I chuckle. I wonder if my brother and the party know. "He did help out but he didn't have his suit so he stayed out of sight," I answer his previous question.

"Oh. Well, I'm glad he's there too. It's good that you have a close friend with you," Jonathan comments. I turn to glance at Peter through the glass. He catches sight of me and simpers. I smile back fondly. He'd probably be upset if he knew who I'm talking to right now. "Y/n? Are you there?" Jonathan's voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Hmm? Yeah, I'm here. Uh... it is good, yes..." I trail off. I pause and take a quick glance at Peter one more time before looking out at the water. "Although, um... You should probably know that... Peter's kind of more than that now."

I can sense Jonathan's bewilderment through the phone. "More than what? A- a friend?"

"Uh-huh..." I utter. It goes dead on his side, the silence is so loud. "Hello?" I ask, making sure he's still there. My heart pounds as I wait for a response.

"Wow..." he finally voices. "I mean, I knew it was gonna happen eventually but... that's great. That's really great. Peter's a good kid... I'm happy for you."

The corners of my lips curl up into a small smile. I don't know what reaction I expected but I'm glad it was this. "Thank you, and yeah, he's a great person," I reply, sneaking a peek at Peter again.