Chapter 33: The Funeral

Pepper took me to her cabin after what happened

Pepper took me to her cabin after what happened. I didn't speak a single word the entire ride there. When we arrive, I walk inside and take a look around. So this is where they lived for the last five years. A picture frame catches my eye and I pick it up. It's a photo of a little girl, probably around four or five years old. Pepper comes up to me when she notices me examining the picture. "That's Morgan... our daughter and your sister. She's with Happy's mother right now," she says, brushing a strand of hair out of my face. I dimly smile, not believing how I missed her arrival. Now she's going to have to grow up without her father.

"She's beautiful," I comment. Pepper simpers and wraps an arm around me. I lay my head on her shoulder for a minute. My gentle smile fades into a frown as the image of Tony's lifeless eyes pops into my head and I get out of Pepper's hold.

"I, um, I need to take a shower... I'm covered in ash and debris so... where's the bathroom?"

Pepper shoots me a concerned gaze. "It's down that hall, first door to your left," she responds. I nod and begin to make my way to the bathroom until she stops me. "Y/n?" I halt and slowly turn around.

"Yeah?"

"How are you feeling?" she cautiously asks, almost as if she's afraid I'll break. Oh, God, I hate this question. She speaks up again when I don't answer. "I just want you to know that you can talk to me... I lost him too."

I finally look up at her. "No... no, we didn't lose him. He's not dead... he's not dead, he can't be," I trail off, refusing to accept it. Pepper's eyes water as she gazes at me sadly.

"Y/n..."

"HE'S NOT DEAD! Not really dead! I mean, I was dead but you guys brought me back with the stones. Now we need to bring him back. The stones will bring him back," I chatter. I need to hold onto hope that he can come back. Tears roll down Pepper's cheeks as she shakes her head.

"Baby, it doesn't work that way... I wish we could do that but... but nothing can be done. He's gone," she replies, breaking down more at the end. I shake my head and break down too.

"That can't be true," I cry. Pepper rushes over and pulls me into a tight hug. 

He can't be gone. I need him.

•~•~•~•

Pepper, Rhodey, and Happy planned the funeral. They all tried to talk to me but could barely get a word out of me. I finally met Morgan but she seems shy around me. I get it though, it must be weird to have a strange girl suddenly live with you and have to call her your sister. It's partly my fault she's shy around me. I barely talk to her, I barely talk to anyone. It's really hard for me to keep up a conversation when I feel so empty inside.

Jonathan, Nancy, and my family have been calling me since that dreadful day, but I didn't answer the phone until I finally decided to call them all back to let them know I'm alive. At least they're okay, that brings me some comfort. I went back to school, hoping it would help to distract me. It worked for a short while when I reunited with Peter, Ned, and MJ, but it didn't help much. I only went for two days before deciding to take some time off for myself.