Chapter 63: You Are a Freak

"Hey," I return while Jonathan just nods at him in acknowledgment.

"What are you guys doing? It's pretty late," Lucas questions, eyeing us suspiciously.

Jonathan and I glance at each other and shrug. "Nothing," I respond.

"Just talking," Jonathan adds. Lucas gives us a strained smile, making me uncomfortable. I can tell Jonathan is uncomfortable as well. "Um, your brother's right, it is late. I should, uh, get to bed," Jonathan declares as he stands up.

"Oh, okay. Goodnight," I tell him, smiling sweetly.

He returns the smile and replies, "goodnight." He looks at Lucas as he passes by him and awkwardly grins, saying "goodnight" to him as well before leaving the room. Lucas shuts the door after Jonathan then turns to me with a scolding look.

"What?"

"What were you guys talking about?" he asks, approaching me and sitting on the bed. I simply shrug.

"What we were talking about earlier: memories," I casually voice. Lucas's suspicious look doesn't falter.

"Mhm..." he hums, not believing me. My eyebrows knit together in bewilderment.

"Do you have something to say to me?" I firmly ask, raising my eyebrows. He shrugs, pretending to be casual.

"No. It's just that I can't help but notice how friendly you two are," he remarks. Ugh, here we go.

"That's because we are friends," I state.

"Who used to be more," Lucas retaliates. I roll my eyes at this.

"What are you saying?" I huff.

"Nothing. Just... remember that he's married... to your best friend," he mentions. "And that he's way older than you now." I sigh in frustration. This isn't new information for me.

"I know. I don't need a reminder of that. I'm literally in their house. It's insulting that you think you need to tell me this," I state. Does he really think I'm going to do something to ruin their marriage?

"Okay, you're right, I'm sorry. That sounded bad. Look, I don't think that of you, I just want to make sure you don't become attached again... because you can't. It's over," Lucas explains. Well, ouch. That was rather blunt.

"I know... I'm not. We were just talking," I softly reply. Lucas gives me a sympathetic look and slightly nods.

"Okay... I just don't want you to get hurt again," he claims, more gently this time. I smile weakly and nod. He plants a kiss on my forehead and gets up. "Goodnight, y/n. Sleep well."

"Goodnight, Lucas," I return. I release a heavy sigh when he exits the room and sink into the covers. Oh, man, I hope no one else got the same impression Lucas did about Jonathan and I.

•~•~•~•

Jonathan's POV:

I quietly step into my own bedroom, careful to not make a sound, just in case Nancy is asleep. I make my way to the bed and climb under the covers. Just as I make myself comfortable, Nancy turns to face me and speaks up. "Where'd you go?"

"To talk to y/n," I respond.

"Y/n?" she clarifies, to which I hum in confirmation. "Talk about what?"

"Just kept the conversation from earlier going. We even mentioned Steve Harrington," I answer. Nancy slightly chuckles at the mention of Steve but a thoughtful expression remains on her face. "Is there a problem?" I inquire, hoping I didn't upset her.