Chapter 1: The Vanishing of Will Byers

Hawkins, Indiana - November 7, 1983

Barbara and I stood near the school entrance, waiting for Nancy to arrive so we could grill her about her newfound relationship. Once we spotted her walk through the doors, we meandered over to her.

"So, did he call?" Asked Barb as we caught up.

"Keep your voice down," Nancy hissed.

"Did he?" I pressed.

"I told you, it's not like that," she said unconvincingly.

Barbara gives her an unamused look while I call her out on her bullshit. "Girl, you know we can tell when you're lying so why even try?"

"Okay, I mean, yes, he likes me, but not like that," she feigned. She started inputting her locker combination and continued, "we just... made out a couple times."

Barb and I shot each other a look and mocked, "we just... made out a couple times." We giggled while Nancy rolled her eyes.

"Nance, seriously! You're gonna be so cool now, it's ridiculous," claimed Barb.

"No, I'm not," retaliated Nancy with a small smile.

Barb quickly replied, "you better still hang out with us, that's all I'm saying."

"Yeah, if you leave us for Tommy and Carol-" I started before getting interrupted by Nancy.

"Oh, that's gross! I'm telling you, it was a one-time... two-time thing."

I rolled my eyes as Barb chuckled. Nancy opened her locker to discover a note. She unfolded it and it read: Meet me. Bathroom - Steve.

"You were saying?" said Barb. Nancy bit her lip and looked between us. All I did was smirk. "Go get your man," I said ushering her off. Her smile widened and she ran off to meet Steve. Barb and I laughed at her ridiculousness as we watched her go. I headed to my locker, which was a few lockers down from Nancy's.

"I gotta get to class, I'll see you later," stated Barb.

"But you still have plenty of time."

"I know but you know how I love getting there early. Bye," responded Barb, walking backward before fully turning around.

I shrugged and answered, "bye." I grabbed the materials I needed from my locker and put away the ones I didn't need. I then shut the locker and spun around. Just as I turned, I bumped into someone.

"Oh, sorry," I apologized before looking at the person's face. I recognized this person. It's Jonathan Byers. He just stared at me, looking dazed. As I look into his eyes, I see a mixture of shock and sadness inside them. I break away my gaze and look down. That's when I notice that we're holding onto each other's arms.

"Uh," I awkwardly cleared my throat, which seemed to bring him back to reality. He peered down at our arms and quickly let go. "Sorry," he uttered.

"I-it's fine... are you okay?"

He raised his head to look at me, surprised by my question. "Yeah, I'm fine." He just continued to stare at me longingly. I wonder what's going on in his head. Maybe I could just- no, don't do it.

I didn't know Jonathan all that well for we were only acquaintances. We've had a few classes together in the past, in fact, we have one together this year. I've only talked to him for school projects or made small talk with him when we would both show up to pick up our brothers. To tell the truth, I found him quite charming. He is undeniably cute. I don't know what it is, but there's something about him that caught my attention.