Chapter 82: Were They Wrong?

Y/n's POV:

Peter and I are at the top of the Cathedral tower, waiting for the monster to show up. I crane my neck to glance at Peter, who's at the very top, and see him jump down and land beside me. "Alright, we're in position," he informs our partners.

"As soon as we see something, we'll let you know, Beck," I add.

"Roger that."

"How's the suit?" Fury's voice sounds after Beck replies. I dart my eyes to Peter, studying his black suit. It's not bad.

"Uh, the suit's great. It's awesome," the boy replies. He shifts, moving his hand to his inner thigh to adjust the suit as he mentions, "it's a little tight around the old web-shooter."

"Parker!" Fury scolds while I snort. Did he really just call it a web-shooter?

"Okay, I'll shut up," Peter claims.

I burst out into a small fit of laughter. "Web-shooter," I repeat, making him snap his head to me.

The giant white eyes of his suit widen and I can imagine the face he's making. He stumbles over his words, "well- I mean, because... webs- you know-"

"No, I know. I get it, you don't have to... explain it," I interject, sticking my hand up to signal him to stop. He rapidly nods, chuckling nervously.

"Right, yeah, sorry..." he mutters.

Silence takes over and I scan his suit again. It actually looks kind of nice on him. "You should consider making a black suit."

Peter turns to me while I just gaze at the carnival below, keeping watch for the creature. "Really?" he asks, looking down at his attire before glancing at me again. "Why, you like it?"

By the tone of his voice, I can tell he's smirking. "Maybe I do," I flirtatiously respond, shrugging.

"Sinclair! Parker! Quit flirting and focus!" Fury's voice flows into my ear.

"Okay, okay, sorry," I mutter. I smirk at Peter but then remember that he can't see it because of my mask so I wink instead. He lightly chuckles and I can tell I made him a bit nervous. I love doing that. We focus on watching out for the monster. After a few minutes, I notice steam coming from the water fountain. That's definitely a bad sign. I scan the area more closely, looking for more clues of the monster's arrival when I notice the ground rumble as it begins to break, fire seeping through the cracks. Lava travels up the statue in the fountain before shattering it. The giant fire monster pops up in its place, releasing a boisterous roar. I press my finger against my comms and announce, "uh, yeah, he's here. You ready, Beck?"

"You know what to do," Peter says into his comms.

"On your lead, Amethyst and Spider-Man," the man answers. The monster jumps out of the fountain and smashes a car with its fist, causing the bystanders' screams to get louder as they run away. It destroys everything in its path as it stomps all over the place. "You're up, guys."

Peter and I look at each other and fist-bump before taking off. He swings away and flings something heavy at the monster while I launch into the air. Mysterio and I blast energy at the monster at the same time, and Peter rips a fire hydrant from the ground, causing water to spray it. It growls as grey smoke fills the atmosphere. The monster targets him, punching the building Peter is on the side of but the boy briskly jumps off before it could touch him. Mysterio and I blast the creature again but it doesn't affect it while Peter lands on a carousel. It smashes its fist onto the carousel, making Peter jump off again.

"No, guys! He's got the carousel, he's getting bigger!" he shouts as the monster absorbs the metal, thus causing it to grow.

"Yup, we know, sweetie, we can see that," I reply. Maybe I can do what I did with the water monster, it seemed to work pretty well then. I create a lavender orb in my hands and slowly separate them, one hand moving up while the other opens downward. Lavender swirls form in the monster's chest and I bring my hands back together, causing it to growl loudly as my magic tears it apart from within. Suddenly, I feel something hit my back hard, sending me flying to the ground. I sit up and turn around, looking for the culprit. Was that Beck? "What the hell, dude, again??" I shout at him.