Chapter 81: Night at the Opera

Third Person POV:

Y/n and Peter leap off the building and the boy lands rather loudly with bent knees while y/n gracefully drifts down to the ground with glowing lavender hands.

They whirl around, spotting an elderly couple walking up the stairs behind them. Said couple turns around when they hear Peter land. "Scusi!" he calls out to them. "Sorry, that's Italian..." he trails off when he realizes he used the wrong language.

"Promiňte!" y/n calls out to them, smiling politely and waving a hand. The couple returns the smile and nods before going about their stroll. Peter gives her an impressed look and she shrugs, grinning cockily. "Gotta do your research before visiting a foreign country, Parker," she states, patting her boyfriend's shoulder.

"Haha," Peter dryly laughs, narrowing his eyes at her as he unzips his backpack and pulls the EDITH glasses out. "Okay..." he murmurs as he puts them on.

"What are you doing," y/n curiously asks as she observes him.

"Finding a way to keep our friends inside," Peter answers, to which the girl nods. Good, she thinks. "EDITH? Oh, come on," he whispers, feeling like the AI is taking too long to activate.

"Hello, Peter," EDITH voices.

"Hey, uh... I need to find a way to keep my friends inside for the next few hours," the boy informs.

"Let's see what we can do," EDITH responds.

•~•~•~•

The class sits in the hotel lobby, most of the students holding glowsticks or sporting them on their bodies. "Good news. We're going to the opera!" Mr. Harrington announces. The entire class, minus Peter and y/n, is taken aback by this.

"The opera??" everyone simultaneously shrieks, hoping they misheard their teacher.

"Don't look at me," Mr. Dell chimes in, pointing to himself. This is the best that EDITH could do to keep them occupied. Y/n and Peter knew their peers would hate this and would rather attend the carnival. However, the opera will keep them safe indoors and that's way more important than what the class wants.

"What happened to the carnival?" MJ questions.

Mr. Harrington instantly claims, "oh, this is upgrade living, guys." While he's talking, Ned turns to Peter and y/n, who both eagerly nod at him, hinting that they need to go to this opera. Fortunately, he quickly gets the hint. "Come on. The tour company just gave us these tickets. For free! Do you have any idea how much opera tickets cost?"

"No," Flash immediately deadpans. "Because none of us have ever wanted to go to the opera. Ever," he states, emphasizing "ever."

"Uh," Ned jumps in, turning to the superhero couple before his eyes travel over everybody else. "Well, I think this is gonna be culturally enriching for us," he expresses, hoping it'll keep Mr. Harrington from changing his mind and open his classmates' minds. Y/n and Peter share a nervous glance before looking back at their teacher.

"Thank you, Ned," the man replies, pointing at Ned. "Everyone, this is gonna be, maybe... the best four hours of our whole trip," he confidently adds.

"Four hours???" the students exclaim. The couple remains completely silent, just praying that Mr. Harrington doesn't change his decision.

"Guys, I think this is gonna be fun! Seriously!" Ned optimistically pipes up with a bright smile. A hint of a smile graces y/n's lips. She loves how far Ned will go to help her and Peter. After all, he did tell a teacher he was watching porn when she caught him in the computer lab on Homecoming night to avoid revealing that he was Spider-Man's "guy in the chair." Therefore, y/n knows he'd do anything for them. She views Peter turn to her through her peripheral vision, so she turns to him too. She gives him a reassuring smile and sets her hand on his knee, making the boy smile gratefully in return.