Chapter 2

Previous chapter
"I want a daddy!"

Calina's pov

I looked at her with a smile, trying not to break into tears. I didn't expect her to wish a dad for her birthday.

I knew that one day she would ask about her father, but I didn't expect it to happen anytime soon. She was only three, I thought I'd be enough for her a few more years before she would ask for a father.

Besides, I did everything in my power to keep her from asking about him. I always read her books, watched with her cartoons, cooked and baked for her, and in my spare time I went to the playground with her.

Even if I didn't have a lot of free time due to my work, I always tried to take some time to pay my attention to her, and make her feel loved and cared.

But it seemed like I hadn't tried hard enough, otherwise she wouldn't ask about him. "Baby, don't you want anything else for your birthday? Why do you want a dad?" I asked her, my voice trembling in the end.

"No! I want dad for my birthday! Boris has a dad too! Why don't I have a dad? That's not fair!" she whined, her eyes getting glossy, before she jumped off the chair and hurried out of the room.

"Baby! Wait!" I called after her, but she already left the room. While I was still looking at the door where she stormed out through, I felt a hand on mine.

"Should I talk to her?" I heard Emma ask. "No," I said with a sigh, shaking my head, "I'll talk to her."

She nodded her head, saying, "As you wish, and Lina, don't be too harsh with yourself, you are doing your best to make sure she is fine, but she also needs to know that she cannot have everything she wants in life. Don't spoil her too much or she'll get angry every time you can't give her what she wants, like now."

I thought about her words. Then, I nodded my head pensively, agreeing with her. It seemed like I was spoiling her too much as I always bought her anything she wanted.

Now, she was used to get what she wanted and threw tantrums whenever I couldn't give her what she wanted.

"You're right, I'll talk to her. Her behavior needs to be changed, she needs to accept that she can't get everything she wants in life," I muttered, getting up from my seat.

"Candice?" Emma said as I was about to leave the room. "Yes?" I turned and looked at her. "Don't be too strict with her either, remember that she is just a kid," she told me.

"I will," I muttered before going to her bedroom. As I saw that she was not in her bedroom, I went to my bedroom and saw her lying on the bed. She turned her back on me as she saw me come in.

Sighing, I sat next to her on the bed. I knew she was mad at me for not being able to give her a dad for her birthday, but she also had to learn that she couldn't always get what she wanted.

"Zia," I said, but she didn't look at me. "Okay," I shrugged, "If can ignore me, I'll ignore you too."

She turned to me, frowning. "Mom, you can't ignore me, it's my birthday," she muttered, looking down.

"I know it's your birthday, but your birthday doesn't mean you can throw a tantrum and get mad at me just because I can't give you what you want," I told calmly.

"But ... it's not fair. Why can't I have a dad? Boris has a dad. Yesterday, we should draw a picture of our family, I painted you and me, but my friends asked me why I didn't draw my daddy ... everyone in daycare has a daddy, why don't have I a daddy?" she asked me, making me realize that she envied other children because of their father.