Chapter 21

Previous chapter:
She might deleted her traces, but I might restore them back.

Raphael's pov

I was in my office. Calina was putting our daughter to bed. Zia, I hated her name. But she was a sweet girl, and I could use her well to build strong connections if her brother took over my empire.

And I really liked that she was attached to me. I hoped her attachment would last a long time for me. Then, she would be easier to control.

But if she was like her mother I had to go the hard way to tame her and make her obedient. I knew, however, that Calina would not make it easy for me to turn our daughter into what I wanted her to be, an obedient little girl who could obey orders.

Therefore, I knew I had to tame my wife first before I could tame my daughter. I sighed. It would be a long way to go before they were what I wanted them to be.

I looked towards the door as someone knocked on the door.

"Entra!" I called the person even though I knew it had to be Denise. I had messaged him this morning, telling him to come here as soon as his flight landed in the US.

The door opened and Denise came in as I expected. "Good morning sir," he greeted me, I huffed, cocking my head.

"I really don't know if my morning is good or bad, not after I found out last night that my wife has cancer. Why didn't you inform me about my wife's condition when you told me in Italy that her and my daughter's lives are in danger? "I asked him irritated.

"The last time I checked, I recruited you and pay you a fortune to keep up with the things I want to know."

"I know, Sir, and I am truly sorry for my weak work, but the fact that you didn't know you had a daughter surprised me, as I thought you knew about her all the years, and after the miscommunication between us was cleared, I was shocked, and couldn't think straight for the moment, and forgot to inform you about your wife's condition," he told me apologetically, looking at his shoes, not being able to look me in the eye as I glared at him madly.

"Miscommunication?" I asked him with a chuckle, shaking my head. "Was it really miscommunication? Or just a sloppy work?"

"I am sorry, Sir," he apologized again, not daring to talk back to me.

"You're lucky that I've more important problems to deal with rather than showing you how to do your work right, lucky you," I sighed. "Thank you for your mercy," he said appreciatively, nodding his head, letting a sigh of relief.

I watched his demeanor, he looked tense. After all these years working for me, he still couldn't relax around me. Good, he should still fear me because fear brought not only obedience but loyalty and respect as well, the more he feared me, the less he would think about betraying me.

"You can show me your gratitude by telling me about my wife's actions here," I said, leaning back in my chair, playing with a pen in my had.

"I gave you a file--"

"I know," I interrupted him, "but I don't want to read it, I want to hear it from your sweet mouth." And compare what you tell me to what I heard from my lovely wife.

"Just give me a short sum up with all the relevant details I need to know."

Listening to a story from two different mouths was better than from one. Then, you could also see if the story was the same, or different, and see which parts of the story you had to investigate more.

"Your daughter is sick, or was sick, Mr. Morelli. She had a whole in her heart, and needed surgery to get it closed. Calina didn't have any saving as she loves to spend money and spoil her child. Therefore, she borrowed the money from Cortez, and paid him back in time, but after Cortez found out she was a doctor, he didn't want the money anymore, instead he wanted Calina to work for him, he even went to the extremes and kidnapped her daughter to blackmail her after she refused to work for him after Zia's surgery, but Calina being Calina, she killed Mr. Cortez by playing some dirty games with him. And on my flight to the US I found out how," he told me, and the story was similar to what I heard from my wife, it seems like once in her lifetime she told me the truth.