Chapter 12

Previous chapter:
"We'll find her."

Calina's pov

I sat in the backseat of the car. Zia was sleeping, her head resting on my lap. My head rested against the window as I watched the landscape passing by, like my life.

I didn't know what I was feeling right now. I didn't know how to feel after murdering someone almost twenty minutes ago.

I killed him, it was official now, I was a murderer, but still remained calm. I didn't panic, I couldn't afford to panic, otherwise his man, Dominik, who was driving me, his boss's killer, home, would get suspicious.

The irony that he was unaware that he was driving his boss's killer home, made me snort a little. He thought he was obeying his boss's instructions by driving me home as I ordered him to pick me up from his room to drive me home with my daughter by his boss's phone.

I didn't feel bad for killing him. I didn't know if guilt would consume me later for taking a life, or not, but for now I didn't regret strangling him to death.

He deserved it. He threatened me with my daughter. He told me he'd use my daughter to make me his puppet. And I couldn't let it happen. Not again.

I was tired of being told what to do. I was tired of being bossed around. And I'd rather kill a bastard like him than kill hundreds of innocent lives while playing his puppet and doing what he wanted me to.

"We have arrived," Dominik said, bringing me back out of my thoughts. "Thanks," I said with a forced smile.

"So, you work for us now, huh?" he asked me as I was carefully removing Zia's head from my lap to get out of the car.

"Yes," I confirmed, nodding my head. "And when do you start working?" he asked me next.

"I have some organizational work to take care of, like resigning from the hospital and legally checking Zia out of the hospital before I start working for your boss," I lied smoothly.

"That means?"

"Mr. Cortez and I both agreed that I would start next week," I lied, giving him a date, as I took Zia out of the car. "Alright, see you next week, Ms. Hooker," he said, nodding his head before driving away. "

"I don't think so," I muttered as he drove away. I will take my daughter and leave before his men would find out I had killed their boss and would be after me to avenge their boss's death.

They would surely find his corpse in the morning, which meant I had to leave tonight.

Sighing, I went to my house. As I managed to open the front door with Zia in my arms, I went to my bedroom and carefully laid her on the bed before I caressed her face with tears in my eyes.

"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry that you had to go through this," I whispered as the doorbell rang.

Frowning, I got up from the bed. My heart pounded madly at the thought that they had found out I killed him sooner than I expected.

Quietly, I went into the kitchen and grabbed a knife before walking to the front door. I looked through the peephole and saw Emma and Bob.

Letting out a breath of relief, I opened the door. As I opened the door, Emma immediately hugged me.

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't call you spoiled, I was just angry that you got involved with gangsters again. I should be more lenient considering your daughter's situation," she muttered.

"It's alright," I muttered, hugging her back as I needed someone to hug me after the last few hours. My mind was a mess, I felt like a hurricane, whirling around without knowing what I was doing.