Chapter 3

Previous chapter:
"Zia," I whispered in my semi-conscious state, trying to reach her before blacking out completely.

Calina's pov

I felt like in a deep slumber, my body feeling numb. I felt like my consciousness was wakening up, but I couldn't move even my pinky, that exhausted felt my body.

I felt like I was lying in the darkness, surrounded by nothing. Then, I heard the monster of my nightmares say near my ear, brushing it's lips against my earlobe: Wake up, piccola.

Now, I was glad my eyes were closed, as I didn't want to see the voice's keeper. And I felt anger, angry at the voice as it belonged to him.

Suddenly, I clenched my jaw, my hands balled into fists, and my body rose up from its lying position before my eyes opened, ready to tell him to fuck off and don't tell me what the hell I have to do.

But he wasn't there. And it was Hella bright in the room. Groaning, I blinked a few times, rubbing my eyes.

For a second I felt lightheaded and disoriented before I came to my senses and looked around, realizing that I was in the hospital.

Frowning ans still feeling very exhausted, I tried to remember the reason why I was here.

Then, I remembered losing consciousness while carrying Zia's birthday cake to her, and the immense pain I felt in my legs and bones before I fell to my knees and passed out.

Sighing, I went with the back of my hand over my forehead as it was sweaty, before looking down at my lap and biting my lip not to cry.

I was scared as something was definitely not right with me. At first, I thought I was only exhausted and stressed from my profession, but as a doctor now, I could tell that the pain I was feeling couldn't be caused by stress or exhaustion. And I've been in a lot of pain lately.

My body felt sick. I had bone pain, I was excessive sweating, especially at nights. And I started bruising without harming myself.

I could tell to what illness all those symptoms were describing me, but I ignored it for a while now, not wanting to believe I was sick, having:

Leukemia.

Was I really dying? I mean, I had been suspecting for weeks now that I might have cancer, but I didn't get myself checked out because I refused to admit I had cancer.

Instead of getting myself checked, I told myself and my body that we were alright, telling myself we'd get better by time, even if I knew, as a doctor, that the human anatomy didn't work like that as every body needed some help at some point, and I crossed that point a long time ago.

And the reason why I didn't do a diagnosis on myself was because I was scared that I was really sick, I didn't want to die and leave my baby behind. She was only three, and needed me.

I came back from my thoughts, wiping my tears away, looking up, as the door of my room opened and Bob came in.

"You're awake! You gave us all a heart attack! Wait! Let me call the doctor," he babbled, leaving the room again, before I could ask him where Zia was.

"Zia ..." I muttered, thinking of my daughter. As wanted to get up and look for my daughter, the door opened again and Bob came in with Mr. Wright this time.

"Good morning Candice," he muttered, looking at my file. "Morning?" I asked with a gasp, shocked that I was out for a day, before wondering where my daughter was, what she was doing, how she was, as the last time I've seen her she fell to the ground, and  I haven't seen her for one fucking day.