Chapter 12: The Speech

Still Hinata's POV

"We have gathered here today to honor the memory of Hyuuga Hiashi. So let's give him one last farewell ... Hyuuga Hiashi was not always a good person, so now he has to pay for his sins. But even such a person had a family. His wife and two daughters. His twin brother and nephew. Unfortunately, he lost some of them, but he still had the loved ones left. Despite all those sins, his daughters loved him and are crying here today for his loss. The loss of a loved one. Those who wanted to be their support also came…" Naruto-kun put his arm around my shoulder. Neji-nii-san grinned at him. But I didn’t pay attention to them. Hearing this is melting my heart. And so I hope that the father and mother reconciled in their afterlife…

"… I will ask the eldest daughter of the deceased to say a few words…"I was lost in thoughts.

"Hinata… Hinata!"

"Oh, right." I came closer to the priest.

"Thank you to everyone who came today. I really appreciate it and I'm glad to share these feelings with you. I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without my sister Hanabi, who is my support. Without my cousin Neji, thanks to whom all this could have taken place. And finally without my closest friend Naruto-kun, who’s been here for me since day one. Thank you all! ... Of course I loved my father. There were times when he disappointed me immensely. Even so, I must honor his memory and repay his sins. It is not easy to forgive my father even for this day. It's not something that can be forgiven so easily. I trust all of you, so I will tell you. Hanabi, I apologize in advance for what you hear now…" Hanabi was confused.

"… because it was our father who killed our mom. And this sin may be forgiven, but not forgotten. Even so, I ask you all to think of my father in a good way…" I didn’t even notice that Hanabi disappeared. It’s my fault again… But lying won’t make anyone happy. It would only turn out more lies… I bowed and heard applause. I only said what I had in my heart, but it is possible that someone was touched. I went back to the others.

"Hinata-sama, I have no words…"

"That was awesome, Hinata!"

"R-really?"

"Of course!" Just now I have noticed.

"Hanabi! Where is Hanabi?!"

"She was here a while ago…" I ran to look for her.

"Hanabi!" She was no where to be found.

"Hanabi!!" Neji-nii-san and Naruto-kun were helping me to find her. But no one has been able to find her yet.

"Hanabi…" I’m so desperate. I knew I shouldn’t tell her! But I don't want to keep everything from her. Not if I have to keep one thing a secret from her. Definitely.

"Hinata, I found her!!" Naruto-kun yelled at me. She heard him and wanted to run away again. But he caught her.

"Hey, your sister is worried about you-ttebayo!"

"Then why didn’t she tell me something so important?! I’m not a child anymore! She doesn’t have to treat me like one!"

"But… you are a child." She kicked him in the crotch.

"Ahhh!!!" Naruto-kun yelled.

"Hanabi!" Hanabi stopped.

"Hanabi, let me explain!"

"Nee-sama, why do you keep everything from me? I could stand it, so don't lie to me anymore!"

"You are right. You are strong, Hanabi. I just didn't want to put more pressure on you. Not even a strong person could stand this."

"Nee-sama, I know you're trying to protect me, but never lie to me again…"

"It’s a promise." I promised, but I still hide one truth from her. It's for her good. And then she hugged me.

"H-how could our father do something so terrible?! Answer me… Nee-sama."

"I don’t know. I’m sure he wasn’t himself when he did it. Maybe he was mentally ill."

"Even if, I would never forgive him for this. I can't."

"Be strong, Hanabi." I hugged her tightly.

© Lewis Capaldi