~ 52

Chapter 52 |

Kyela's Pov

I stared at her, scared to let her go on.

"Simone, what are you talking about?" I asked.

"Drew has a brother," she blurted. "When I was... with him, with Drew, we all lived together, the three of of us. He hated me, and I never why. I never knew why either of them hated me. I just lived with it, I guess. But, the night when you saved me, we had gotten into fight. It was them against me. They were so angry with me, and I remembered him telling Drew not to bring me back home for a couple days, or he might kill me," she explained.

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair. "Why didn't you tell me this earlier, Simone?!" I shouted.

"Are you trying to get yourself killed? Is that what you want?" I asked her, pressing for answers.

She pinched the bridge of her nose and closed her eyes momentarily. She shrugged, and I saw her face scrunch up as she began to cry.

"I'm sorry, I just... I don't know," she said, "I was scared that you'd say no if I told you before."

I sighed and reached across the console to grab her hand and comfort her. "You should've told me. I wouldn't've said no, but I would've found a way- a better way- to get this done. But we're here now, so we have to do this one way or another."

"Okay," she agreed.

"Grab the gun," I told her. She nodded, and I began to put my hair into a bun.

As I began to open the door, she put her hand in front of me to stop me.

"Put your head down," she demanded.

I ducked to where only my eyes could be seen over the dashboard as she did the same, and a pair of headlights went past us slowly. I could goosebumps rising on my skin as the car came to a slow stop, then quickly drove away.

"That was him," she whispered.

We walked up to an old door that had the number 23 on it. Simone looked around the floor and looked under the doormat and bench before she checked if anyone was looking at us and kicked her foot into the door.

I gasped loudly as she pulled me into the apartment and shut the door behind us quickly.

"Why in the hell did you do that?!" I whispered harshly.

"I had to get the door open somehow," she answered nonchalantly.

I looked around the place and covered my nose since the room smelled like beer, must, and old pizza.

"Yeah, he must be depressed without his partner in crime," Simone said under her breath.

"Let me get you cleaned up first," she said before pulling me down the long hall to a room. She instructed me to sit at the desk in the room as she went across the hall to go and get something.

I surveyed the room, noticing large posters of bands and gang paraphernalia on the walls. I swiveled in the desk chair and found myself peeping through the drawers. In the bottom drawer, I saw a roll of cash, similar to what I see Michael with all the time, so I snatched it for myself and stuffed it in the front of my bra. It felt weird to steal money from someone just because I wanted to, but I had a strange feeling that it wouldn't be the last time I'd do it. I felt that I needed it for something.

Simone came back into the room with a wet rag and a box in her hands. I quickly shut the drawer and acted as if everything was normal and turned to face her. She gently rubbed the dried blood from my face and neck that I failed to do myself as I tried to find my happy place and think about it.