~ 41

Chapter 41 |

Michael's Pov

"Uh, she's on heroine," Kyela said quietly. She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and chewed on it the way that I found totally irresistible, but that wasn't the point here.

I sucked my teeth, "She has to go."

La Toya, who was standing beside me, swatted my arm. "Don't be ridiculous. We can help her," she said.

I rolled my eyes, "Who the hell is we?"

"Michael," Kyela scolded. "Seriously, she needs all the help she can get because she doesn't have anyone else."

"When did you two become best friends to make you want to help her?" I asked.

"Unlike you, I have sympathy for people," she said.

"I have sympathy for you," I scoffed.

She rolled her eyes, "I don't need it. Thank you."

"Enough already!" La Toya said, stopping the growing argument. I knew that if we continued, Kyela would end up crying, and I would be pissed. "This is not about your relationship, and it won't be, so stop being childish and discuss this like the adults you are."

"He doesn't want to help her," Kyela sighs.

I silently watched her when she got the girl into bed and tucked her in and had a ten minute conversation with her before she finally went off to sleep. I remembered when Kye had been hurt and La Toya would comfort her those times, and I wished it had been me. I wished I had done it, and she would've believed that I cared. And we would be in a better place today.

"I don't think you should be around her," I said, thinking out loud by accident.

"Excuse me?" she said. "You can't tell me who to be around and not to be around."

"Look, I just think that she's a bad influence, and I don't want that rubbing off on you too," I explained.

She narrowed her eyes at me, "I'm trying to help her, not... support her. I can't even believe that you would say something like that! Oh my goodness, Michael!"

"No one is trying to be like her, Michael," La Toya defended her.

"Fine," I said, "If you really want to help her that bad, then whatever."

I held up my hands in surrender and sighed. Kyela looked at me from the corner of her eye, and a small smile played on her lips, then I felt something like butterflies fluttering around in my stomach.

"What are we going to do with her then?" I asked.

"Well, she can't leave the house. We don't know who or what she knows, and I don't want to risk anything," La Toya told us.

"She's going to be sick for a while, but I can try to keep her out of your way," Kyela said with a shrug.

"You don't have to do that," La Toya told her.

"Well, I don't have anything else to do, so why not? I don't mind," Kyela admitted.

She glanced at me as I glared at her for that statement. She knows good and well that she has other things to do- like being with me. She's really pushing it now.

"Okay..." La Toya said as she looked back and forth between Kyela and I suspiciously. "As long as she's not causing problems, she's fine. Otherwise, you know what'll happen."

Kyela's eyes widened a little, and La Toya left the both of us alone. She looked at me expectantly and sighed. "What?" she asked.

"You don't have anything else to do, really?" I asked, no longer biting my tongue.