~ 30

Chapter 30 |

Michael's Pov

I was sitting on the couch, eating popcorn and watching TV, when I heard Janet. "Kyela!" she screamed up the stairs. I turned around and glared at her, but she just gave me a sly smirk and continued to call her from the bottom of the stairs. This was obviously her fault. I heard her heels click against the floor from where I was sitting, and I glanced up at her as she leaned against the banister and looked down at Janet, not noticing me at all.

"Well, are you ready to go?" Janet asked, then Marlon barged in the room too.

"Go where?" he nagged.

"La Toya's." I answered dryly before throwing a handful of popcorn into my mouth. I don't know what was worse; the sickening amount of salt I'd just tasted or the fact that we were being separated again- at her will.

Marlon shrugged, and Kyela ducked back into the bedroom before coming back out with a large bag that looked as if the zipper might burst. I thought she said a few days... I rolled my eyes as she walked down the stairs, and I turned my attention back to the TV. I heard the door open, and I figured that she was just going to leave without telling me goodbye or anything until I felt two hands on my shoulders. I looked up, and she grabbed the top of my hair, pulling it back, then she planted her lips on mine upside down before letting them linger on for a second or two.

"Mm, salty." She commented. "I love you," she whispered with a smile.

"I love you too," I responded happily.

She moved her hair behind her ear and quickly scurried off out of the door. Damn, I can't let her get away.

Kyela's Pov

I quickly hopped in the car with Janet, and she sped off onto the road ahead.

"Do you think it worked?" she asked with a smirk.

"I guess, but he seemed more angry than anything. Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked.

"Oh, don't start feeling guilty on me now."

"I'm not- I just don't want it to go wrong," I admitted, "I want this to work."

"Look, it's going to work..." she assured with a scary, unusual edge to her voice.

I sit back and stare out of the window at the rural nothingness that we pass. I never got the chance to ask Michael why he lived out here so far away from the city while La Toya lived in a regular neighborhood with regular neighbors, but I had a pretty good idea of an answer to that question.

As I thought more about my disastrous relationship, I wondered how I could've fallen in love with a criminal. I should've known what I was getting myself into when my feelings for him first started to grow. I should've expected the treatment that I'm getting. I should've guessed how he would talk to me. Or maybe I just should've thought for once. I was too busy listening to my heart rather than my mind, and I didn't think of how he couldn've made me feel in the long run. Now, I'm desperate. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

He called five times. Five separate times he called. Janet wouldn't let me talk to him once, and she kept giving him excuses every time she answered the phone. Finally, she told him I was asleep, and he hadn't called back since. I felt like I was being punished in some sort of way; I wanted to talk to him, and I wanted to be near him, but I did want him to suffer, and he was going to now that I wasn't speaking to him. I was just wondering what he was feeling right now. Was he hoping that I'd come back soon? Was he moving on with his plans? Did he even really care? I mentally smacked myself. Of course he cares if he's called five times. Dammit, I'm pathetic.