~ 28

Chapter 28 |

Michael's Pov

I watched Kyela and Marlon talk all through dinner even long after she was done eating, and she never looked at me once. She shouldn't've been talking to my brother, who also mentioned the person that I hate the most, because she should've been talking to me. And they were so engrossed in their conversation that I had to stop trying to figure out what they were saying before my head started spinning. I couldn't help but think that Marlon had a thing for her, but he was much too late because she was with me.

I watched the two of them wash the dishes together and help Rebbie clean the kitchen, but I was only there to make sure that Marlon didn't try anything that would make me want to cut his fucking head off. When they finished, I made sure to get back to the bedroom before she did. She pushed her hair behind her ear as she entered the bedroom, but she didn't acknowledge me at all.

"Can we talk?" I asked, closing the door behind her.

"There's nothing to talk about," she said as she took off her shirt.

"Yes, there is. I'm sorry, I fucked up." I said, "Big time." I added.

"Okay." she responded after a few seconds of silence.

"I wasn't thinking about how you'd feel if I told them that, alright? I was just being a man, and I didn't mean to upset you..."

She still didn't have much of a positive response. Instead, she took a step forward and looked me dead in the eye.

"You said that it wasn't just sex, but you also said that I shouldn't take it personal because I'm not the only one that they know about. What was that supposed to mean? I'm not special? Did it not mean anything to you?" she asked in the most calm voice that I'd ever heard in my life. She was on the brink of snapping any moment, and it was very unnerving.

"Kyela, it meant the world to me, and you're very special to me. You're the most special woman that I've ever let into my life, and I may have said some bad things to you, but I didn't mean any of them..." I cupped her face in my hands and kissed her tenderly, and I was surprised when she didn't kiss me back. I was pouring my heart out, but she didn't seem to connect the dots, and I felt like I was just saying this shit for nothing while she just stared off into space.

"Then, why do you say them if you don't mean them? Do you know how that makes me feel?" Her eyes were welling with tears now. Emotions.

"No, but-"

"You make me feel like dirt, Michael. You just walk all over me and don't care about how it hurts me, then you do everything you can to push me away until you want to walk over me again, and I was stupid enough to let you have something of mine that I can never get back because I love you, and I knew that's what you wanted."

"Kyela, we didn't have to..."

"It doesn't matter whether I wanted it or not. I only did it for you," she said. She wiped a few tears from her face and tied her hair back into a ponytail. I reached out to hug her, but she held her hands up to distance us. "Can I just be alone for the moment? You can go back down there and tell them whatever you want, okay?"

She walked off into the bathroom, and I decided that I'd leave her alone and give her some time. She would forgive me, I knew she would.

I left the room and went down the stairs, bumping into Marlon at the bottom. How coincidental, right? I pulled him aside just because I wanted to talk to him and set things straight about Kyela's place between him and I.

"I don't appreciate you dragging me like that, Mike." he said.

"What did Kyela say to you while she was eating?" I said, not acknowledging his complaining.