~ 53

Chapter 53 |

Michael's Pov

I woke up cold and alone. It was dark out, so I knew it was still night, but I had a strange feeling about something. I just felt like something would go wrong as usual.

I sat on the edge of the bed, contemplating where Kyela could be. The door to the bathroom was open, and the light was off, yet I checked it anyway. She wasn't there. I scratched my head and went downstairs to the kitchen, thinking maybe she would want a late night snack since she had been eating a lot more lately. I thought it was weird how I noticed little things like that, but it was the little things that counted, I figured.

I looked at the clock on the wall as it read 2:35. That's odd. I left the kitchen and went into the living room, passing the back door. A chill went down my spine as I felt a cool breeze pass my body. I stopped and turned around to face the door. It was open just a little. I went over to it and closed it back and locked it. I had the feeling to glance outside through the windows. The gate to the backyard was open as well.

I clenched my jaw and tried to hope that my worst nightmare wasn't becoming a reality. I rushed upstairs.

My feet frantically carried me down the hall to Simone's room where the door was shut. I opened it swiftly and turned on the light. She wasn't there. She wasn't in the chair. She wasn't in bed. She wasn't anywhere.

I slammed the door shut, making the pictures on the wall rattle and ran back to my room. My hands were shaking as I searched through my pants to find my car keys, but I couldn't find them. I left my room and began to go downstairs again.

"Michael, what's going on?" La Toya asked from behind me.

"Nothing. Go back to bed," I answered.

"Michael," she called behind me. I dripped in the middle of the staircase.

"If you must know, Kyela is gone. Again. I think she's with that girl," I snapped.

"Simone?" she asked.

I nodded and she sighed. Even she wasn't surprised. I knew I shouldn't have let this girl into my life. I knew she would be trouble.

I went into the kitchen and searched the counters for my keys, then the drawers, but they were nowhere to be found. Then, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I came to a startling realization: she took my car.

Simone's Pov

"I thought I told you that I didn't want to see you again," he said harshly.

I sighed and turned around to face him. "Troy, I just came here to get my stuff and leave."

My voice threatened to crack as I spoke, but I forced myself to sound confident. He rubbed his chin and tapped his foot on the floor.

"Alright," he said simply, "You can go."

He stepped out of the way of the door and waved his hands towards it as if trying to shoo me out the door. I stayed frozen in place, scared to move. I looked towards the window and thought about Kyela, but I didn't want him to know she was out there for her safety.

"Go on," he commanded.

I gulped dryly and took a step forward towards the door. I looked down at the floor sand tried to scurry past him quickly, but he lunged at me and grabbed me by my throat. I screamed loudly. He shoved me into the wall next to the door and proceeded to choke me. I tried clawing at his hand and face, but he started to squeeze tighter, making my vision go black.

"You thought I was gonna let you go like that?" he asked me, "You thought it was that easy?"

"No, Troy," I said trying to hold back my tears.