~ 31

Chapter 31 |

Kyela's Pov

I trudged down the stairs wearing a simple gray t-shirt and plaid pajama pants. My hair was pulled back into a ponytail loosely with a few wild strands flying around my face. I didn't feel my best today. I had a headache, and I was still tired surprisingly. When I entered the kitchen, La Toya, Marlon, and Rebbie were conversing at the table while they ate their breakfast.

It was just something about them that always made me feel like such a burden on their family. It's not like I had to be here. They could always safely take me back home and leave as if nothing ever happened. Then again, it wouldn't be just that easy unfortunately. In the midst of their conversation, La Toya happened to look up and smile, giving me her full attention. "There's food on the stove. Help yourself if you'd like, and there's a pot of coffee if you want some." she offered.

I simply nodded in response and walked over to the counter. I caught a whiff of the food, and I just felt like emptying out the contents of my stomach, but I didn't know why. The food smelled incredible, but I wasn't the least bit hungry. I directed myself to the coffee pot, and there was a large mug sitting next to it, so I took advantage and filled the mug to the brim. Not even caring, I carried it over to the table and sat down right next to Marlon, and I seemed to really catch their attention weirdly. I gulped down half of the bitter coffee before feeling like my tongue was on fire, but it seemed to soothe whatever was going on in my head; I didn't even know what was going on in my head. Maybe I was losing my mind.

"Well, you look tired," Marlon commented through the silence.

"I am," I declared.

I was more than tired. I was physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted. It felt nice to have a break-- another one.

"You're not going to eat?" Rebbie asked, and La Toya peeked over her mug as I shook my head.

"I'm not really hungry," I answered quietly. Just to take the attention away from me, I turned to Marlon. "When did you get here?"

"Uh, late last night," he shrugged.

"Why?" I questioned.

The table shifted a bit before Marlon got a chance to answer, and he never responded.

Shifting uncomfortably, "We all just need a break from Michael right now," La Toya said. She was definitely lying, but I didn't question it.Maybe that was just half of the truth. I'm sure Michael needed a break from everyone as well, but I couldn't think of any reason why him and Marlon weren't on good terms-- except that he obviously mentioned something personal so long ago, but I didn't even think that Michael remembered that. Now, I had too many things on my mind at once. I sipped on my bitter coffee, trying not to spit it back out into the mug because it was disgusting, and my mind drew a blank while I tried to figure out my current feelings.

I realized that I wasn't feeling anything at all, and I was completely numb all over, and I wasn't normal. Actually, I hadn't really been my normal self in a while, but I hadn't noticed. I found myself cold all the time, with bone splitting headaches. I had the life drained out of me, and I felt weak all over, just weak in general.

I was brought back to reality when I felt something warm on my hand, and I looked up only to find Rebbie looking at me sympathetically, not what I was expecting. I have her a small smile, knowing that she would ask me if I was okay-- just like everyone else. If anything, that was what I heard the most everyday. Someone was always checking on me. I thought that I was an adult, but I guess not.

I heard a voice from down the hall, and it wasn't too long after that Janet came into the room, chatting away on her phone. Marlon sighed and rolled his eyes at his little sister as she approached the table before abruptly hanging up the phone. She tossed it onto the table, making me jump.

"Was that really necessary?" Rebbie asked.

"Maybe." Janet replied. She tapped my arm gently. "I was thinking that we could go-"

"Janet, leave her alone. Look at her, she's tired." La Toya defended. Janet took a look at my face.

"Hm, you're right. You look horrible." Janet answered bluntly.

"Gee, I didn't notice." I retorted.

She scoffed, "Well, excuse me for being real..."

"I didn't ask," I snapped.

Janet began to say something, but Rebbie stopped her. "Would you stop it already? You two bicker like you're fucking married, and it's getting on my last damn nerve. Either you leave each other alone, or you get along. I thought she was Michael's girlfriend, not yours."

Janet and I looked back and forth between each other, and I sighed deeply. I felt guilty and irritated at the same time because Janet does nothing, but pick on me. She's like the sister I never had. Surprisingly, I'd never thought of her as a sister until now because I was always blinded by the constant annoyance she brings to my life.

The day went by slowly, and the Sun was beginning to set. I sighed at the beauty of the horizon and my aching tongue. My headache had gone away, and I was feeling a little more normal now although I still felt somewhat dizzy. What could this be? I could just be sick, but that didn't seem likely. It was like 400 degrees outside, and I hadn't been exposed to anyone who was sick unless...

Of course, I could not be pregnant. I would be stupid to think that. That's impossible. While I flipped through a fashion magazine, my thoughts wandered on to what could be making me feel so bad. I rolled onto my back as someone knocked on the door softly.

"You can come in," I called.

The door opened a bit, and Janet came in with a grim smirk on her face. "Let's play Monopoly."

...

We weren't even ten minutes into the game before Janet had gone to jail at least twice, and I had triple the amount of monopoly money as her.

"You're cheating," she declared, and I chuckled to myself.

"I'm really not," I answered. "How do you even cheat in monopoly?"

She scoffed, "I don't know, but you are! You must be hiding your money in your bra or something..."

"I am not!" I laughed, and she groaned dramatically. Before I knew it, the board was in my lap, and the pieces were flying everywhere.

"Fuck this game!" Janet exclaimed, and I burst into laughter, holding my sides in pain. I rolled onto back and tried to catch my breath, but I was laughing much too hard to breathe.

"I was just about to get free parking!" I said while still trying to catch my breath.

Janet began to laugh along with me, and I can admit that we both looked stupid rolling around the bed laughing for no reason. We chilled out after a few seconds before we were staring at the ceiling in the total silence.

Breaking the silence, Janet spoke first. "Do you remember the time when I told you that I underestimated you?"

"Yeah," I answered.

"And I told you that I liked you a little..." she added.

"Mhmmm," I said. She stayed quiet for another moment. I turned to face her, and she was still staring at the ceiling. "Where are you going with this?" I asked.

"I've told you some things that I've never really told anyone else, not even Whitney." she said, and my eyes widened at her comment.

"You're like another sister to me. I know that Michael pisses you off sometimes, but he's not the only one that, um, that needs you," Janet continued.

I didn't expect her to tell me all of this. I felt shocked and appreciated at the same time. "Are you referring to yourself in third person again?" I asked, and she looked at me with a blank expression.

"Sorry," I answered.

"Do you want some wine?" she asked.

is anyone else a sore loser? I am...

anyway, thank you for all the wonderful comments. since we're farther along in the book, what's been your favorite part so far? has it changed?

mickeythemoonwalker