~ 39

Chapter 39 |

Kyela's Pov

After dinner, I offered to clean the dishes because I needed to be kept busy until I felt tired enough to go to sleep. It was like everyone disappeared, and I was alone, but I knew I wasn't because I was expecting Michael to show up any minute now. I was always aware of his presence no matter where I was or where he was.

Some of my cuts stung in the soapy water, but I used that to distract me while I scrubbed cheese off of plates. I was drying and stacking a few dishes and Michael came into the kitchen, but I didn't even have to turn around because I knew the sound that his shoes made.

He stood next to me, and I watched him roll up his sleeves before dipping his hands into the soapy water. I didn't say anything, but he probably knew what I was thinking.

"I'm helping," he said.

"I don't need any help," I answered.

He began to scrape more cheese off of a fork, but I reached over and grabbed it from him and dropped it into the water.

"Stop being stubborn and let me help you," he demanded.

"I don't need any help, Michael. Now go," I instructed, but he only laughed.

I gave him a sly smirk and pushed him out of the way to continue cleaning. He was really trying to help me, but I really didn't need his help, yet he insisted on staying there. He grabbed my waist and pulled me into him, and my back was against his chest. I dropped my sponge to hold the edge of the sink when he sucked on my neck, giving me a hickey there. I wanted him to continue, but I realized that he was just trying to get me to forgive him again, and this was not going to work no matter how good it felt. Dammit.

"Stop," I whispered.

He squeezed my hip, and I grabbed his hand to push him away from my body.

"Stop it," I demanded.

He stroked his chin and clenched his jaw. He couldn't seriously be angry with me when it's his fault to begin with. He brought this on himself. I turned back to the sink and continued cleaning, but he didn't leave like I thought he would. He just stood there, leaning against the counter watching me.

"I don't know what you want me to do," he said.

"What are you talking about?"

"You wouldn't let me explain... How else am I supposed to get you to be happy with me again?" he asked.

I didn't really have an answer to that question. I was probably going to be mad at him for a while for what he did to me this morning. That was the ultimate slap in the face seeing him so infuriated with me, and I didn't even know what I'd done. It hurt.

Before I could think of an answer, La Toya came into the kitchen and basically saved me from the conversation. "I got the call," she said to Michael.

"Now?" he asked, trying to sound hushed.

I zoned out of the conversation after that, not really feeling like I should be listening. I only heard La Toya walking away from Michael. He came up beside me, and I dodged him by going the other way and stacking the last few plates.

"It sounds like you have things to do," I said. "You might want to get going then, huh?"

"I hate it when you do that. I don't like leaving you, you know?" he expressed.

I drained the water and turned to him, "Okay? What am I supposed to get from that?"

"I told you that I'd take you with me, don't you want to go?" he asked.