~ 20

Chapter 20 |

Kyela's Pov

His grip loosens on my throat a little when he feels the gun poke him in the navel. I reach up with my free hand to try and pry his hand away from my throat, but he tightened his grip again, and my vision was starting to blur. Suddenly, he let go completely, and I fell to my knees with tears brimming in eyes and my hands massaging my neck.

Randy came into view, and he held out his hand to help me up. I took ahold of his hand while mine shook uncontrollably. His eyes held a sympathetic look, and I move my hair out of my face. I looked back to the guy on the floor with a kitchen knife sticking out of his back. Randy and I walked back into the kitchen where Michael was hovered over the other man and digging through his pockets while Rebbie and Jermaine stared. He looked up to see me, and his eyes held anger. His gaze shifts from me to Randy, and he steps over the man on the floor to come towards me.

"Get him tied up and put him in the basement," Michael told everyone without taking his eyes off of me for a second.

He lifted my chin gently with his cold hands, and I winced from the pain of my neck. He sighed softly and kissed me tenderly while cupping my face in his hands. He took his lips off of mine and put his nose on mine. I looked up into his eyes, and he looked sad.

"I'm so sorry. I knew I shouldn't've let you out of my sight. I can't-"

"It's not your fault, Michael," I said while shaking my head, "It's my fault. I should've just stayed with you." I'm not taking the blame, but I'm just trying to take this stress off of him because he's always beating himself up over my wellbeing for no reason. It's not like I'm a little kid, so I can take care of myself, and most things that happen to me are my fault because I can prevent it from happening if I take care of myself correctly.

"No, no, no, I can't let you get hurt again," he said, and I could hear the pain in his voice. His fingers traced down my arm, and I winced a little from the pain of where I got my arm crushed. Michael's eyes narrowed at the now forming bruise before he instructs me to put some ice on it.

La Toya walks into the kitchen with her head on her forehead, and he pulls her to the side to talk to her about something. I don't try to listen to their conversation because my pain is too distracting by itself. I take an ice pack out of the freezer, and place it onto my arm while applying a little pressure. My breathing hitches as the temperature of the ice pack sets in, and I throw it into the counter.

"Here," La Toya says as she hands me a rag. I take the rag and cover the ice pack with it and put it in my arm. I look up at La Toya as she laughs at me randomly.

"What?" I ask her, and she shakes her head.

"You are perfect for my brother, you know that?"

"How is that?" I ask, dreading the conversation already.

"You had the nerve to fight two men by yourself in one night without shooting either of them," she says to me.

"Yeah. Well, look where that's gotten me," I retort as I gesture to my neck and arm.

"But you have potential, girl. You're strong-minded, and you've stuck around for a lot of bullshit that you didn't have to deal with. You are one hell of a fighter, and that's exactly what Michael needs." La Toya whispers that last part, and I just smile, thinking about how I'm what Michael needs. It's good to think that he needs me even if he acts like he doesn't because I know that he does. But I need him just as much as he needs me- if not more.

I was sitting on the couch in the basement in between La Toya and Randy with my ice pack on my arm and tired expression on my face. I hadn't gotten any sleep all night, and I just wanted to roll onto the floor (that looked really comfortable at the moment) and go to sleep, but I couldn't.