~ 12

Chapter 12 |

Michael's pov

"Michael!" Janet screams, and my mind goes blank when I hear the gunshot that I never wanted to hear.

She fell backwards down the stairs, and I could feel my heart start to beat again. She shot Diana.

That's all I could think about.

She shot Diana.

She shot Diana.

She shot Diana.

When all of my senses finally came back to me, I could hear her crying from behind me. I turned to see her lip between her teeth as she tried muffle her sobs.

"I'm s-sorry... I didn't mean--"

"No, no, no, it's okay. I was hoping you would do that," I say while pushing her hair back behind her ear. More bruises.

"Janet, get her in the car. Take her somewhere far away from here," I demand while never letting my eyes leave hers.

"But where exactly?" Janet asked.

"I don't know just get her out of here!"

Janet grabs Kyela's hand, pulling her away from me and takes her down the stairs of the basement. I just need her to get out of here before she's traumatized more than she already is if that's even possible.

Janet's pov

We run down the steps of the basement, and at the foot of the stairs, Diana's body lies lifeless. I can feel Kyela's hand shaking in mine, and I know she's scared. If I was in her shoes, I would be too.

"Oh my God," she croaks.

"Shh," I say, "they can probably hear us."

"Who?"

"Joe, James, and whoever else Joe is paying," I say.

I lead her through the darkness of the basement to the door that Diana brought me through. I don't even understand how she knew that I was there. She was in the house the whole time. I heard everything that happened from outside when I was looking for a back entrance with Randy. Now, I don't know where he is, but I need to find out.

"Where are we going?" she whispered, breaking me from my thoughts. I nearly forgot that she was with me.

"Out back. That's where the car is," I tell her, and she nods.

I never thought I'd find myself alone with her in a dark basement trying to find my way out, but I'm doing this for my brother, and whatever he wants, he gets. That's just how it's always been.

He seems to be really into this girl. I've never seen him get so angry over a girl besides Susanna, but she's different, nothing like Kyela.

Finally, we reach the outside, but there's no sign of Randy, and no sign of any of Joe's men either.

"Over there," she says while.pointing I'm the direction of the black Bentley that's parked behind a tree.

We had been riding in the car for fifteen minutes in silence. She hadn't said a word, but I didn't expect her to want to talk about what happened in that hellhole. That's something her and Michael should discuss. I was just here to help.

"I underestimated you," I blurt out truthfully, "I couldn't have ever done what you did."

She looks at me and tilts her head in confusion.