~ 16

Chapter 16 |

Kyela's Pov

After leaving the store with two bags of chips, pads, five bags of candy, and three bottles of orange juice, Michael walked me down to a small Mexican restaurant two doors down. There were about ten people sitting around eating, and the place smelled really good, so I was excited to try some of their food.

Michael, who was still holding my hand, pulled me to the back of the restaurant where two small booths were, and almost no one could see us back here. It was pretty private, but I didn't understand why we had to be so isolated.

He told me that there was no real reason, but he'd rather stay back here just to be alone with me. Normally, he'd tell me to stop asking questions, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that he's not even being normal. Something must be wrong.

"Are you okay?" he asks me, and I nod reassuringly, making sure he doesn't think I'm lying.

He studies my face for a while while I fake a smile despite the feeling in my stomach that is telling me that something is wrong with him. A tall girl with long, curly hair dressed in all black strides over to our table. Michael eyes her up and down as she stands next to our table with a notepad in her hand.

"Michael," she says with an attitude.

"Tatiana," he responds equally as mean.

She turns to me, and her face brightens as a small smile spreads across her face. I look to Michael, but he's too busy looking over the menu to pay attention to me.

"Can I get you something to drink?" she asks.

"Water?" I say, and she nods before walking away from where she initially came from.

Michael finally looks up from the menu, but I just avoid saying anything to prevent any problems. He reaches across the table and grabs my hand and laces his fingers through mine in a sweet gesture, and I smile although I'm not looking directly at him.

"She's an old friend of mine if you were wondering," he suddenly says.

"You two don't seem very friendly to each other," I admit.

"Things happened," he shrugs, but he doesn't say anything more. I'm a bit curious to find out what happened, but for now, I just keep my mouth shut.

Soon, Tatiana comes back with a tall glass of water and a bottle of beer. I thank her for the water, and I watch Michael gulp down half the bottle of beer without saying a word.

"Do you know what you want yet?" she says, turning to me yet again with that same faint smile.

I order what I want, and she continues to ignore Michael, and he ignores her just the same. When she walks away for the second time, Michael rolls his eyes out of irritation it seems like.

"Why is she ignoring you?" I question curiously.

"She's not. She's already knows what I want," he sighs.

"Oh," is all that I manage to say without trying to pry into his life anymore than I already have today with Marlon.

I take a sip of my water, and Michael watches every move that I make. It seems weird because he tries to be discrete about it, but there's no doubt that he's staring at me extra hard.

"What?" I ask, and he blinks a couple of times.

"Are you okay?" he asks with a lot of concern in his voice. I stare at him with a blank expression because it's like the 100th time he's asked me that question, and I am going to keep giving him the same answer whether he thinks I'm lying to him or not. He holds his hands up as if he were surrendering to me, and I laugh at him while telling him that I'm fine for the 100th time. I understand that he's worried about me, but there's no reason to check if I'm okay every five seconds when I am sitting directly in front of him.

Michael's Pov

Just the way she looks at me makes me want to kiss her every chance that I get, but I'm sure she's tired of me being in her face all the time. It hasn't even been a whole day yet, and I already don't want to be away from her for more than two seconds. I'm surprised she hasn't asked me a shitload of questions about Tatiana yet. I was going to tell her, but I didn't want to throw so much information on her right now.

I watched her adjust her hair about five times to perfectly cover her face before I reached across the table to grab her hand to stop her from teasing it anymore. She looked at me with an embarrassed expression, but I lift her hand to my mouth, kissing it softly. She giggles before speaking.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes? Why are you asking?" I retort with a smile.

"You seem... different," she says and shrugs.

"How so?"

"I don't know-- you just-- Since yesterday, you have not been yourself," she murmurs without making any eye contact with me.

"Is that a bad thing?" I ask while softly massaging her hand.

"N-no, not really." She shakes her head back and forth as if she's trying to shake a bad thought from her mind. "You're not as mean and angry as you were a week ago. It just doesn't seem like you-- Like, you got so comfortable with me so fast, it's unbelievable," she expresses.

The circular movements of my thumbs against her hand stopped. What exactly was she trying to say? Was she actually getting tired of my affection towards her already? Was she not comfortable with me? I didn't even know what to say anymore because my mind was swirling with multiple negative thoughts that she could possibly be implying. Or was I making this too complicated? See, when it comes to her, I take way too many things into consideration, and it's driving me insane. Obviously, I care way too much about how she feels about me. But shouldn't I?

Hey.

Thanks for reading guys. Just so you know, it seems like there are not too many people reading or keeping up with the chapters, and I don't want to keep writing if no one is reading the things I write, so I won't add another chapter until this chapter and the last chapter have one hundred reads and more than for votes.

Mickeythemoonwalker