~ 19

Chapter 19 |

Michael's Pov

I sit up straight in the bed, thinking that I didn't hear Kyela's question correctly.

"What?" I asked, trying not to sound annoyed.

She mimicked my movements and sat up while putting her hand on top of mine. "W-who's Susanna?" she repeated.

"Who told you about her?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Marlon did," she says as she squeezes my hand slightly, but I jerk my hand from underneath hers, and she flinched, making me feel bad.

"Why was he talking about her?"

"He wasn't, he just mentioned her, and he told me to ask you about her if I wanted to know because he knew that you wouldn't have liked it if he told me," she says honestly. She bites her lower lip, and I close my eyes as I tried to stop and think about this. As much as I wanted to be angry with Kyela, I couldn't be. It wasn't her fault that she was curious about Susanna, and it wasn't her fault that Marlon mentioned her name when he shouldn't've. I felt the urge to punch something, but I stayed in my place in the bed with her.

"Susie... Susanna is a girl that doesn't and shouldn't matter anymore because I'm with you," I said, "That's all that you need to know." I didn't want to go into detail about that conniving, manipulative bitch. That's all she was to me the entire time I knew her, and my opinion on her will never change.

I looked over to Kyela who had a small smile on her face, but she wasn't looking at me. Her smile didn't match the emotion in her eyes, and I sighed in annoyance because I didn't know what to say to make her feel better. I knew that she was dealing with a lot, and I wasn't good at comforting people.

"What else did you two talk about?" I fold my arms across my chest to prevent touching her even though I wanted to so bad.

"Your mom," she whispers.

I roll my eyes, and I feel a bile rise in my throat, but I ignore the feeling in my gut that's making me want to destroy something, including Marlon. This whole conversation was rubbing me the wrong way, so I pulled the covers up from the bottom of the bed and pulled them over my head swiftly. I felt a shift in the bed, then Kyela's hand laid on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry," she croaked. She sounded like she was on the verge of tears, and I kept myself hidden under the blankets to hide myself from her sorrow. I hated to see her cry; I'd watched it happen too many times before, but, this time, I felt the need to cry with her, but I couldn't cry. I hadn't cried about this in such a long time, and I wasn't going to cry about it now. That was the past, and I'm trying to live in the present without thinking about that; it was too much baggage to carry any further in the future. I felt her press her lips against my arm softly before she tells me she's sorry again, then she gets out of the bed, and I force myself to stay under the blankets to keep myself from running after her.

I opened my eyes, surprised to see that it was still pitch black dark outside. The moon was shining through the window onto the floor, nearly illuminating the whole room. I pulled the blankets off of me, only to see Kyela's arm lapped over my waist. I smiled sheepishly to myself before I carefully moved her arm off of me, then she moved it underneath her pillow quickly. I rubbed my eyes, yawning.

"I didn't mean to wake you up," I said quickly.

"I never went to sleep," she admitted to me as she moved her hair out of her face. Something was off with her tone of voice, but I couldn't determine what it was, so I just nodded slowly, then I got up to go to the bathroom.