Chapter 22

Victorias Pov:

We're now all eating dinner and the family is just chatting. So far it's going pretty well and they even talked to Avery.

"So Avery, how did you meet Victoria?" Grandpa asks and the whole attention is on Avery now.

She glances at me nervously so I quickly place my hand on her thigh, which calms her down a little.

"Um..we share a dorm in college." She answers and grandpa nods.

"And in your college always the same gender shares a room?" He asks and I frown.

"Um..yes, why?"

"Aren't they worried that the kids will turn out gay then?" He asks while crossing his arms and Avery chokes on her drink.

"So you'd prefer it if a boy and a girl share a room?" I ask and he nods.

"Do you know how many woman are terrified of being alone in a room with a guy? I definitely am. Well obviously not because you wouldn't say that then. And also you don't just turn gay by sharing a room with the same gender." Avery says, making him raise an eyebrow.

"How dare you talk to me like this?" Grandpa replies angrily, on which she flinches.

"Grandpa, she talked to you in a normal tone. She was just telling you her opinion." I tell him and he turns to me.

"You support her opinion?" He asks me sternly and I glance at Avery for a second before nodding.

"I do. I, for your information, feel way saver with Avery in the same room than with some guy." I answer and Avery intertwines our fingers under the table.

"But what about your friend Con..Connor." Dad says and I sigh.

"Connor is different. I know he would never do anything like that. You don't know him so don't say things like that about him." I reply angrily and everyone is quiet now.

"All he's saying is that it's wrong. Girls should be with boys and not other girls. And boys with girls and not other boys." Dad says, which makes me groan.

"Well you're wrong if you think that. Wait..are you afraid I might..turn out to be gay?" I ask sternly.

I can't believe this..

"Oh my god you are! Is this the worst thing that could happen? Me kissing a girl?" I ask disappointed and he just looks down while sighing deeply.

"Wow.." I mumble before getting up and walking towards the front door. I open the door and storm outside.

Jada's Pov:

"I'll talk to her." Mom says but I stop her before he could get up.

"I think Avery should talk to her. Or well..just be there for her." I say and Dad frowns at me.

"Why her?" He asks while crossing his arms and I sigh.

"Just..let her."

I then look at Avery and she just nods before getting up and walking towards the door. She puts on her shoots and grabs her jacket before heading out.

When she was gone I turn back to the others. "Look grandpa, we love you very much but it's 2021, some things have changed. It's completely normal to like the same gender. You don't have to love it but imagine someone in your family would like the same gender. Wouldn't you at least support them? Wouldn't you be happy for them?" I tell him and he sighs.

"This is about Victoria, isn't it?" Grandpa asks and I look down.

"It's not my place to tell.." I mutter.

"She's in love with that Avery girl, isn't she?" I hear grandma ask, which makes me look up.

Wait..she's..smiling?

"She seems like a very sweet girl." She says, making me smile.

Dad then suddenly gets up and storms off into his room. "I'll talk to him." Mom says before going after him.

"So..Victoria is gay?" Grandpa says and I look at him again.

I take a deep breath. "I don't know." I answer truthfully.

Avery's Pov:

I walk out of the house to find Victoria sitting on the doorstep. "Hey.." I say softly before sitting down, next to her.

Immediately after that she turns her body to me and wraps her arms around me, holding onto me tightly. I instantly put my arms around her as she starts to cry.

"I'm so sorry, Vic." I whisper and she just holds onto me tighter.

We stay like this for a few more minutes before she slowly pulls away. She wips her tears with her sleeves and slowly calms her breathing down.

"Why can't they just be okay with it? Is me loving you really this horrible?" Victoria says with a shaky voice.

My eyes slowly widen in realisation but she just looks at me with a frown, being all confused.

"You love me?" I ask softly, which makes her eyes widen.

She looks down. "I-Is that okay?" She asks and I smile while putting my fingers under her chin to lift her head, so she'll look at me.

"Of course that's okay, dummy."

"I love you too." I tell her and she starts smiling widly.

I lean in and gently kiss her lips. I feel her smile into the kiss which makes me smile too. Our kiss lasts for a couple of seconds before I pull away.

"You wanna go in there again? We don't have to talk to them we can just go straight upstairs." I say and she takes a deep breath.

"Yeah, let's go back inside..but I still want to eat. I'm still hungry!" Victoria whines, making me chuckle.

I then get up and offer my hand to her. "Then let's go back inside." I say and she smiles at me while taking my hand and getting up.