Failsafe

Percy's POV

What is going on...

Tidal-Wing stared wide-eyed at the screen in front of her and the Team. Crash, another alien ship has been shot down but three of the Justice League leaguers had died in doing so. She watched as another flew by, bringing down two more heroes.

Something tells her to get out there now and slay each and every one of the aliens attacking her home, but another part of her just kept telling her that this is all just a dream, it's not real.

But it felt so real...

A hand slipped into hers and she found Robin looking at her concerned. "It's alright." He told her. "We're in this together."

"What is happening?" She muttered quietly. Dick squeezed her hand.

"Another day on the job." He answered. It was supposed to be a humorous saying, yet there's absolute seriousness in his tone. But Dick is not wrong, somewhere deep inside, every hero knows that he or she would one day die on the battlefield, defending the world they sworn to protect.

A voice came through the transmitter. "Tornado, did you-?" Zatara was unable to finish his sentence, worry, and despair visible in his tone.

"Yes, Zatara. We saw." Tornado answered as the Team gathered behind him, all ready to be deployed to help their seniors. "Celestial defenses have failed. Initiate all terrestrial measures."

"Affirmative. See you in the field." The magician responded and signed off.

Tornado turned around to face them. "I must join the League. We will protect the planet at all costs. But should we fail, the responsibility falls to you."

Kaldur shared a look with the Team before looking back at Tornado with determination in his eyes. "We stand ready." He said.

...

"This is Iris West-Allen, reporting live. The extra-terrestrials have brought their relentless global attack to Central City." Percy watched as the daring Mrs. Allen stood in front of the battlefield, risking her life to report the story. She had to admit, Barry had chosen his spouse well. For someone like the Flash, Iris is the perfect match.

On the other side of the screen, explosions after explosions rain down from the sky. Civiliansran panicked all over the place. Alien ships fired at random, vaporizing people on sight. The sight made Percy want to look away but she found that she can't. Something inside told her that this is a reality that she would have to see again very soon.

An explosion happened just above Iris's head, A red blur rushed by and swooped the reporter away just as the fire reached where Iris was moments before.

"Tornsnart siht namaremac ot ytefas." Zatara chanted as two ships crashed into each other and vaporized into oblivion. Flash appeared with Iris in his arms at the other side of the explosion and set her down.

"You should both be safe here, at least for now." He said.

"Thank you, Flash...and Zatara," Iris said hesitantly. Barry placed a comforting hand on his wife's shoulder before zooming off with Zatara not far behind.

"Denny, you okay?" Iris asked into the camera, to which the cameraman responded by holding up his hand in a thumbs-up gesture in front of the screen.

"As you can see," The reporter continued on. "the Justice League is an attempt to hold the line..." A flash of light behind Iris grabbed her attention and she saw her husband and fellow league vaporized in front of her eyes. "No..." She muttered.

The screen cuts to Cat Grant sitting at her station, shouting for her friend to get out of the way as a ship came crashing down. "Iris! Iris, get out of there-" The feed cuts to black and white static, and Cat fell back into her chair with a dazed look on her face. "I'm sorry...we're experiencing...technical difficulties from our Central City feed." She continued on with a hollowed voice. "We take you now to a devastated Taipei. Another League contingent is having more luck." She shouldn't have jinxed it because just as she said it, Hawkwoman and Hawkman were vaporized right in front of the screen.