Alienated

Dick's POV

His eyes hurt from staring at the screen for so long. A half-empty cup of cold coffee sat beside his holographic computer. Dick hadn't moved from his position by the desk for hours and he was starting to feel stiff.

He can't sleep. Dick can't even remember the last time he had a good night's rest.

It was starting to get light outside, another all-nighter. He's used to them now. A beep in his ears told him that it was time for his responsibilities as Team Leader. "Nightwing here," He said with a sigh, rubbing his tired blue eyes.

"Incoming message from Zeta Squad," Captain Atom's voice said through the comm. "Mission complete, they will be back in approximately two hours."

"Affirmative," Nightwing said, standing up from his desk and his vision sways a bit from sitting so long.

"See you there," Captain said and ended the call.

Dick looked back down at his messy desk and at his equally messy apartment and pursed his lips. He will have to clean this up when he gets back, there is no Alfred here to nag him about cleaning up after himself, so he will have to be responsible. Dick had long since moved out of the Manor, there are too many memories there.

His eyes turned to the mirror by the wall. In it, he saw a well-built and fairly tall young man with tousled black hair and brilliant blue eyes. His sharp features would have been handsome but the dark shades under his eyes and the stubbles on his chin ruined the image. Dick can hardly recognize himself in the mirror.

So he cleaned up, took a quick shower, and shaved his face. There's no need for the others to worry about him, not now. Thankfully his mask could cover up his dark bags, he'll catch a quick nap after he sees his teammates safely arrive.

One thing great about being the adopted son of Bruce Wayne and having lots of money, is you get your very own story of apartments, complete with your very own zeta-tube and suit display case, along with several stocks of weaponry, explosives, and gadgets. His most prized possession among them all is the brightly lit display case standing beside his own that showcased his lover's old suit, perfectly preserved within the air-tight glass case.

Nightwing placed his forehead against the case and closed his eyes. After a moment he opened his eyes again and turned away, heading towards the Zeta-tube.

"Recognized, Nightwing, B01"

...

He arrived at STAR Labs just in time as the scientists of the Erdel Initiative department were setting up to transport the Team's Zeta Squad back from Rann. A few days ago, while the Team and the League were destroying all Krolotean zeta locations on Earth, Miss Martian, Superboy, and Beast Boy were sent out on a mission with Adam Strange on Rann.

Now, present at the scene to welcome back the Squad was Leaguer Green Lantern John Stewart, Wonder Woman, Captain Atom, and him.

"Sir? We've received the Rannian signal," One of the scientists said to Dick. "They're arriving now."

As if on cue, the computer announced the Zeta Squad's return. "Recognized: Adam Strange, A11. Miss Martian, B05. Superboy, B04. Beast Boy, B19."

Beast Boy jumped out of the Zeta tube excitedly. "Nightwing, check out my super cool alien souvenir!" He said happily, waving a piece of red and black fabric in his hand.

Dick smiled a little at the green boy. Megan placed her hand on her adopted brother's shoulder, the look on her face indicated that whatever she is about to say next is going to be heavy.

"Gar, Business first." She said softly.

The boy looked slightly crestfallen but he nodded in understanding. "Noted..."