Cornered

I'm putting this out early because I'm going out with my friends in the afternoon to watch The Batman. Enjoy!

Dick's POV

He hopes to live out the rest of his life this way. Opening up his eyes every day to see Percy sleeping peacefully by his side. Dick smiled to himself as he looked on to the beauty lying beside him, he had forgotten what a good night's sleep felt like, but when she returned, everything felt right again. He leaned over, kissing the girl gently on the cheek, and got out of the bed quietly so as to not disturb her.

After a refreshing bath and a change of outfits, Dick sat down at his work desk by the window with his mask on. He had to check in with the Team and see what they had found out about the Light's new Partner. He had to admit it was irresponsible of him to leave the Team behind and let them deal with such a difficult situation, but he had no other choice, Dick could confidently declare to the entire world with no shame or whatsoever that Percy would always come first in his list of priorities unless, of course, the world that both he and the girl live in is about to be destroyed, which in last night's case, isn't that bad (or so he thought).

The holo-screen in front of him reared to life and he made a straight call to the Hall of Justice, where the Team currently resides since the Cave was destroyed. Then a thought popped up in his mind, which made him furrow his brows, turning to look towards the direction of his room. Speaking of the Cave being destroyed...how is he going to tell her about it? And the situation that involves Kaldur, Artemis, and all the others? What would she say? Of course, he is going to tell her the truth about Kaldur's undercover mission and Artemis's faked death, but will she understand what he is planning to do? Wally didn't, he's been having doubts the moment Artemis agreed to his plan...

Before he could dive further into his thoughts, the call he made came through and Mal's face appeared on his screen.

"Morning," Mal greeted, sipping a cup of coffee.

"Hey," Dick responded. "Sorry I had to leave you guys to take care of everything and leave so suddenly, I kinda ran into an emergency..."

"The others get it," Mal responded casually. "But do try not to disappear so suddenly ever again. I know it's the-uh, Bat-way, but sometimes you've got to admit, it's kinda unnerving."

Dick suppressed a smile. "Roger that," He answered lightly.

Mal took another sip from his cup, raising an eyebrow suspiciously at him. "Why do you seem happier today?" the man asked. "Your entire form is...not dark..."

Dick stole a glance towards his bedroom again. "Tell you later," He said with a mysterious smile. "Now, how did the report go? What did you guys find?"

Mal scratched the back of his head nervously. "Yeah...about that..." The Team leader's expression immediately changed. He really left at the wrong time last night.

"Report," He said and Mal straightened his posture.

"Uh, well," The man began. "As of last night, after the Team's successful mission in retrieving Beast Boy, Impulse, Blue Beetle, and Lagoon Boy, along with the abducted teens, the alien ship has moved from their location at the bottom of the sea and into the public's view."

Nightwing's eyes narrowed, his lips pressed into a thin line. He didn't like where this was going. Mal continued on with the bad news. "As you can probably tell, this is bad. They made a public appearance under the flag of peaceful coming before we could even tell the people what they were doing in the dark." Mal typed in a few things and a news report from yesterday popped up on Dick's screen.

"...Reporting today's top story: a small group of extra-terrestrials, the Reach, have arrived at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City. For more on this, we go live..." Dick stopped listening from there. His mind was a brewing storm, this is really not looking good for the heroes. If they were to out the Reach's real intentions now, how many would believe them? The Justice League would be viewed as the "bad guys", but if they don't say anything...then what would happen? What damage would it cause to the rest of the world? Dick stay quiet as he watched on the rest of the news and the appearance of the new aliens. After the video had ended, the two men stayed silent for a really long time, both deep in thought.