Before the Dawn

Dick's POV

Wally was right, faking Artemis's death was only the beginning, the hard part that followed was something that weighs him down to the point where he could not breathe. In just the span of a few days, the Team had taken a major hit. First, they lost Artemis, then their base - the Cave - got destroyed by Aqualad, then three more members: Blue Beetle, Beast Boy, and their new recruit Impulse got captured by Kaldur when the Cave exploded.

The loss of the Cave only heightened the Team's anger towards Kaldur and Dick feared for his friend's safety, the Team is now even less likely to hold off their attacks when they see him. Kaldur would have to be extra careful when encountering the Team.

Nightwing wasn't too keen to send the Team out on another mission so soon after the destruction of their base, but it had to be done. Kaldur managed to leak intel to him last night about Manta's next whereabouts, so he could use this chance to get their abducted teammates: La'gaan, Garfield, Beetle, and Impulse out; save the abducted teens, and get a glimpse of the Light's new Partner.

Because of the Bat Family's excellent gene in going undercover, Nightwing sent out Batgirl and Robin (both dressed in civis), along with Bumblebee, as Alpha; they are to blend in with the other abductees that were currently stationed at the docks of Star City. Their task is to find where their abducted teammates are located and report via Miss Martian's mental link. And while they do that, Nightwing and the rest of the Team will be waiting in the Bioship, ready to follow the Manta Ship when it departs.

Nightwing stood at the front of the Bioship, watching Alpha's progress through the holo screen. They waited in camouflage mode, tailing the ship from a distance. "Good, they are leading us to Lagoon Boy and the others." He said.

Wondergirl leaned forward in her seat. "How can you be sure?" She asked suspiciously.

"Wishful thinking."

"And the abductee shipment at the docks, how did you know about that?" the girl asked again.

Dick was glad he had prepared a coverup for this. "Aquaman came across the intel while searching for La'gaan." He answered simply and didn't speak again.

At this very moment, a large alien ship came into view. Nightwing watched the ship with narrowed eyes. "So this is the Light's Partner..." His tone was neither harsh nor gentle. "That ship shares the same alien design sensibility as the bomb that destroyed Malina Island and Mount Justice."

Wondergirl squinted her eyes at it. "Kind of reminds me of Blue's armor."

The girl had a point. The new ship laying at the bottom of the sea bears an awful similarity to that of Blue Beetle's armor. Its design looked so much like that of a beetle's exoskeleton. Could the two perhaps be related in some ways? Well, let's use this opportunity to find out.

Dick turned his head slightly to the side. "Miss M, you're up." He said to the martian girl at the control. "And link us up as well."

Megan stood up from her seat. A hatch opened in the middle of the Bioship floor, Miss Martian changed form before leaping into the waters. A moment later, her voice rang out in Dick's mind.

'Alpha Squad, I'm heading into the alien ship. Are you aboard?'

Barbra's voice followed up. 'Affirmative. We are in some kind of docking bay. We have visuals on the new aliens, aka the Kroloteans competitor, aka the Light's Partner' then her voice turns to panic. 'And we've got company. It's Aqualad, if he makes us, we're over.'

'Stay whelmed,' Nightwing told them. 'He won't be looking for you, just don't attract attention. Miss M, how are things on your end?'

'I found Gar and Bart.' she reported. 'They are unconscious but alive. No sign of Jaime or La'gaan.'