7

It was finally the last day of stable duty with Jean and you couldn't be any more happier. You finally understood why Levi's office was called the Devil's den. Every time you came into his office it was a game of Russian roulette with his emotions. Sometimes he was angry and sometimes he wasn't, but what made the game even harder was the fact that his facially expressions rarely changed which was no help at all. Sometimes you'd accidentally say the wrong thing or your attitude gets the best of you, resulting in harder labor, but to your surprise it never went past longating your punishment.

As the sun started to set into the evening. You couldn't help, but sit on a haystack outside for a bit to cool down from the heavy heat that was radiating inside the stables. To your advantage Jean didn't come to pester you, thinking you were still working since he's never seen you take a break. You laid back and closed your eyes for a bit till you felt something plop down besides you. GREAT

"Seriously Kirstein, you can't leave me alone for one minute" you said with an annoyed tone.

"Oh my apologizes L/N, I came for a breath of fresh air myself" 

Your eyes shot wide open in fear and turned to your side to find the Commander himself smiling at you. 

"I-I'm sorry, I thought you were Jean" you said as your face started to turn red.

You quickly picked yourself up only to feel yourself being pulled back into the Hay. You looked at Erwin who let go of you and was now staring at the sky. You didn't say anything and instead just laid back down next to him in comfortable silence.

"OI! L/N COME FINISH YOUR WORK BEFORE I DRAG YOU MYSELF"

SHIT.

You shot yourself back up, you opened your mouth to respond when you were pushed once again into the hay. Erwin sat up and greeted Levi.

" Captain Levi, please forgive L/N. I was feeling a bit lonely and I kindly asked for her company which she politely rejected due to having to finish her duties, but I insisted"

Levi just nodded and headed off. You just stared at Erwin as he plopped back down beside you.

"T-Thank you"

Erwin just nodded and stared back at the sky. You just laid there staring up as a bunch of questions swirled through your head. 

IS HE REALLY LONLEY? SHOULD I COMFORT HIM? SHOULD I SAY SOMETHING OR DO I STAY  QUIET? WAS IT JUST AN EXCUSE? DID HE MAYBE COME OUTSIDE LOOKING FOR ME? DID HE WANT MY COMPANY?!

POKE!

You felt Erwin poke your cheek, "What are you thinking about?"

You came out of your thoughts and just gave him a smile

"Oh nothing, just glad this stable duty is finally over, I'm tired of reeking like horse shit" 

you quickly covered your mouth. You didn't mean to use such language around him. You felt a bit of shaking next to you and the next thing you knew there was a rumbling of laughter next to you. 

"I'm glad to hear it L/N ! and I'm glad to see your comfortable enough with me" he said still laughing.

You felt yourself relax at his response and laughed along with him. You never imagined for the last day of stable duty to be such a pleasant one. 

As the sun almost hid into the Earth, Erwin picked himself up and held out his hand for you. Getting up, you both dusted yourself down. You looked up to see Erwin had some hay in his hair. It made you laugh a little since it blended so well with his hair, it almost looked like his hair was just sticking out everywhere like crazy.

"What's so funny cadet?"

"Sir, you have some hay in your hair"

"Oh. can you get that for me L/N?" he said as he bent down to your level.

You removed the hay from his hair and even fixed his messy hair a bit.

He thanked you and pulled some from yours as well.

"Well it seems its time to eat, I'll see you later Y/N" Erwin said and walked off.

Y/N?! DID HE CALL ME BY MY FIRST NAME? WAS IT A MISTAKE? PERHAPS.

As your head continue to swirl with many questions, you made your way to  the mess hall and to your table and sat down. 

"Care to explain, where you were hiding all this time Y/N?"

Your head followed the voice to find an angry Jean staring at you along with two confused faces.

AM I EVEN ALLOWED TO SAY WHAT HAPPENED TODAY? SHOULD I EVEN TELL THEM? WHAT IF THEY THINK WRONG?

"I was cleaning the stables when I was summoned to Erwin's to talk about the whole fight" 

you stood quite biting the inside of your cheek, hoping he would take in your lie. You didn't know why you felt the need to, but you just had too. Jean was always very nosy of what you were up to it sometimes annoyed the hell out of you.

"Well dam a heads up would be nice, I was starting to worry. Plus Captain made me take over your duties" he sighed taking a bite of his bread.

A slowly smile spread on your lips and you hugged him.

"Awww my Jean boy was worried"

He smiled and hugged you back really tightly.

"Of course my love! What kind of friend would I be if I didn't worry for you"

"Je-an love, your crushin-g me"

Instead of letting you go, he held you even tighter. 

Connie threw a piece of his bread at Jean, "Let her go you ass, your suffocating her"

"I don't know what you're talking about Connie" said Jean with a huge grin on his face.

You were about to elbow Jean so he'd let you go when Sasha grabbed Jean's food and started to gobble it down quickly, which quickly got Jean to let you go and chokehold Sasha. 

You laughed and jumped back into the mini fight with Connie along your side. You couldn't be happier with how the day turned out to be. It was a day full of memories you would cherish forever.