16

As the Survey Corps retreated and aborted the mission in a hurry, there was no chance to pick up the dead. The female titan was far too dangerous and besides they have already dedicated their lives to the cause and lost. If anything they had continue contributing to humanity by being meals to titans which bought the cadets time to leave without being followed. Some cadets tried to argue over it with Commander Smith but both him and Captain Levi Ackerman shut them down. There was no need to check for any survivors either, there was just no way of surviving all those titans nor the female titan. 

Being a good distant away from the forest, the teams were reassembled with the cadets they had left. The only team who hadn't come together at all was Levi's for they all died protecting Eren and Eren was currently in one of the wagons unconscious after the fight with the female titan. Levi just quietly rode next to Hange's group and Erwin's not wanting to socialize at all. He was devastated to see his whole group wiped out. His group was the best and yet even they couldn't defeat the female titan. The more he thought about it, the more he felt guilty for leaving them alone. It made him furious, he was ready to snap at anything and anyone at any moment. And the first victim of his terrible rage was going to be Jean and Hange who were arguing back and forth.

"SHE'S GOT TO BE, THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL!" argued Jean

"Jean calm down, we can't do anything! You don't think I'm hurt from all this?!" said an upset Hange who had tears swelling up in her eyes.

This was one of the few times were Levi has witness Hange frowning instead of having that stupid grin she usually has on her face. It has to obviously be about losing another stupid titan.

"OI! IF THIS IS ABOUT YOU NOT CATCHING THAT STUPID TITAN HANGE, ZIP IT!" said Levi with a cold sharp voice.

"Literally this has nothing to do with her, mind your buisness Levi" snapped an upset Hange.

Levi was outraged by her attitude. She has definitely never talked to him back that way, usually she would ignore him or shake it off with a joke. 

"SHE COULD HAVE BEEN HERE IF WE JUST WENT BACK REAL QUICK" Jean continued.

"SHUT UP! I GET IT! IT'S TOO LATE NOW, THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO" strikes back Hange.

"THIS IS ON ALL OF US! HER DEATH IS ON OUR HANDS!"

"JEAN AS YOUR CAPTAIN I AM ORDERING YOU TO SHUT IT, I'M -"

"ENOUGH!!!" Boomed Erwin clearly upset.

With that Jean and Hange stood quiet staring ahead, zoning out and slipping into their guilty minds.

Levi turned his attention to the Commander, he had glossy eyes.

She? Death? Our fault? Who tf were they referring to?!

Jean had spoke lowly with a small chuckle, but loud for them to hear, "I-I noticed she had a limp today. She walked behind me thinking I wouldn't notice it. S-She always liked leading the way...do you think the limping slowed her down?" Jean looked up at them with tears now quietly running down his face. 

" I wasn't aware of any limp, I would have made her stay" said Hange

Levi's eyes widen. Limp?! Y/N? They were talking about Y/N? Had you really not made it back?

He quickly scanned Hange's group and surely enough you were no where to be seen. Another wave of guilt splashed Levi's mind. If he had not stabbed you by accident, you would of been here. If he had made you stay, you would have been alive. He could have at least alerted Hange or Erwin of the limp, but he didn't. Suddenly a bit or rage spilled into the wave, he did tell you to stay behind, but your stubbornness had lead you straight to your death. It was technically not his fault if he warned you right? No, a part of this was his fault and he knew it. He just looked forward and kept arguing with his thoughts.