13

It was finally the night before the great big 57th Expedition, your very first one. You were a nervous wreck, tossing and turning. You were gonna head to the kitchen to get something to drink, but you knew you'd find Levi as always in there. You didn't care, you felt more like getting a breathe of fresh air anyways. You got up and slipped on a black long cardigan over your night clothes, slowly you opened the door of your room and slipped out, leaving a snoring Sasha who was busy dreaming about fighting Connie over beef stew. 

You walked down to the corridor and went to one of the big windows. You opened it slowly which earned a small creak from it. You climbed on top of the sill and heard footsteps walking down the corridor. You quickly stood on the edge to hide from the person. You peeked your head and saw Levi's undercut fading away into the darkness with a porcelain white teacup that reflected under the moonlight. 

You hoisted yourself up with your arm strength while swinging your feet up to land onto the roof.   Picking yourself up, your were strucked by how beautiful the night was. The air was crisp and there was no wind blowing. You sat with your legs out while you leaned back with the support of your arms. You wondered if the Ocean was this beautiful. Maybe not, nothing can compare to this beautiful sight. You wanted to count all the stars that spreaded out, but knew that was impossible. Hopefully the night is this beautiful during Survey Appreciation Day. As you continue gazing, your mind wandered back to the expedition. Your eyes got watery as you thought about everyone. You wanted them to stay alive, you wanted them to come home and be celebrated for all their hard work. Everyone deserves recognition. Your mind then set to Hange. Hange was a strong independent woman, you knew she'd be fine, but you promised yourself that you would protect her so she can make it home in time for her well deserved celebration.

Standing by the chimney of the roof stood Levi watching you. He was ready to lecture you about being out past curfew and even throw some stable duty until he saw a tear glistening as it slowly rolled down your cheek. He studied your face, he was confused. You weren't exactly crying, your face was blank. You didn't make a single noise nor did you allow any more tears to escape. He sighed and went with his first and most obvious guess, you were probably nervous about Tommorow. He didn't approach you, he just stood there waiting for you to leave so he can finally have his turn at being at peace with the quiet starry night. He understood that sometimes people need some time alone even the most loud and obnoxious ones. 

You wiped your single tear away and stood up. You put your hands on your hips and took a breathe of fresh air until you swiftly slipped back down and disappeared into the darkness.

                                                                                      ---------------

Levi slipped out of his hiding spot and sat down where she was sitting before. He turned to the sky and just admired it. His mind wandered off thinking about Isabel and Farlan and how he'd spend nights like this with them. He hoped for there not to be any casualties or at least not a lot. His head ached at the thought of the whole Survey Corps having to dedicate their entire lives on protecting Eren. After all he was believed to be the savior of Humanity. His thoughts were interrupted when he felt tingles in his legs. They fell asleep. He slowly rose and made his way to the edge and swung his legs out, so they'd wake up. As his eyes wandered over the quiet fields, he saw something sprawled out on the field. He swiftly dropped down and pulled out his knife and headed towards it. He crouched and when he thought the cost was clear he stabbed it.

"SON OF A BITCH!" Y/N yelled looking down at her leg.

Levi's eyes widen. It was Y/N laying on the field. She looked up to see a scared Levi. She sighed and with one quick swift move, pulled the knife out with a little whince. 

"So much for peace and quiet" she muttered. She got up and started limping back inside. 

Levi stood there for a minute trying to process what the hell just happened. He thought Y/N went back inside?! He quickly snapped out of it and followed behind her, a few steps away scared she might get him back.

As she stood in the kitchen slowly wrapping up the wound. Levi stood there with his arms crossed and his same blank face. 

"What the hell were you thinking being out there in the middle of the night" Levi said in defense.

"It seemed that you needed some company with the moon alone too. So I left you to it and found my own spot"

So she knew Levi was watching her. She left cause she wanted Levi to enjoy the same peace as she did under that starry night. He pulled his hair back in frustration. Once again he had managed to hurt Y/N. 

"Don't worry, it was an accident. They won't know, besides the pants will cover it"

Levi simply nodded. He keeps hurting her and yet she still doesn't go running to tell. She held so much power in having Erwin head over heels for her and she doesn't even know it. 

"Thank you"

Y/N rolled her eyes and looked at him, "Enough with the Thank you's already. They're getting old"

He stood quiet and nodded again. 

"You know Y/N it's alright to be nervous about your first expedition" he said out of no where.

Y/N looked at him confused, no way was she gonna admit that she was nervous. That was a sign of weakness and she didn't want to show it. She looked back at her bandaged leg and spoke with a flat monotone voice similar to Levi's. 

"Who said anything about being nervous Captain"

"Your tear spoke for you cadet"

"Ah, implying again I see"

"So it's not because you're nervous?"

Y/N turned her face to Levi and gave him a fake smile, "Of course not Captain" 

"Then mind explaining it?"

"What ever happened to respecting my privacy captain? or do you take back your apology?"

Levi was a bit upset with the way Y/N was speaking to him, but he swallowed it down.

"Your right" was all he said opening a cabinet to take out some tea leaves.

"....I worry for others" was all Y/N managed to say in a whisper after a while.

"Well... that's normal too, but you have to worry about yourself first before you can worry for others. Accept death as a part of normality. You need to suck it up and get use to it. It's gonna happen every time we go out."

Levi turned to Y/N to continue the conversation, but turned to find her gone. Her eyes had betrayed her, tears were quietly streaming down her face, so she left before Levi could notice.

Levi stood there annoyed, GOOD NIGHT I GUESS. He noticed some little specks on the floor that followed a bit towards the door. He sighed in annoyance, thinking it was specks of dirt. As he bent down to take a closer look he thought it looked wet. They were so tiny and so little of them they reminding him of.. Tears? Was Y/N crying and that's why she left? Was it because of what he said or did she leave before he could answer her?