Chapter 1

I take in the fresh scent of cleaning supplies as I inhale my new environment. Texas State University dorm room and smile as I walk to my new bed and put my things on the floor.

Today's my first day of freedom and I plan on taking full advantage of it. Weather it's going out and having a few beers or staying in and reading a good book, either way I'm going to enjoy it.

I run and jump on the bed and begin to pump my legs up and down a few times as a giggle erupts from my lips as I realize that this is not what a mature person would do, so I quickly get down, deciding to fix my bed for the second time since I arrived here.

After organizing my side of the room I rush out the door to get my other things from my car at the same time my phone begins to ring.

I look down and see it's my mom calling and I groan as I run a sweaty hand through my unkept hair. Don't get me wrong. I love that extraordinary woman, but she can be a bit overbearing sometimes.

"Hey, mom..." I rush out as I quicken my steps in hope of reaching the now closing elevator door, in which I have no luck. "I can't really talk right now. I'm still unpacking and trying to get situated..."

"Why didn't you call me, Alani? I was worried and you promised to call as soon as you got to your room."

You would think I moved across the world with the way she's behaving. I'm just an hour from home and as much as I wish I did move further, I know I couldn't leave my mother behind. She's all by herself now.

"I'm sorry." I exhale, " I was going to call you after I unpacked and got situated with myself."

"No, no," she sighs into the phone and I know an apology is coming. "I'm sorry. I sometimes forget that you're not my little girl anymore and that you're a woman now."

"I understand, mom, just... promise me that you will be okay while I'm gone and if you need anyth-"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." She says interrupting me. "Now have fun, but not too much fun and remember I love you, Alani."

I smile. "I love you too. Bye, mom." I hang up before she can start to cry and put my phone in my back pocket as I finally reach the front of the dormitory.

I'm so lost in my own thoughts, wondering who my room mate will be that I barely have enough time to hear someone yell.

"Heads up!" I quickly jerk my head up from staring at my two feet as they glide effortlessly across the green grass. I see a football coming my way and catch it right before it hits my face. That would of hurt like hell.

"Really?" I yell holding the ball in one hand and the other on my hip. Typical men. I roll my eyes.

"Sorry, Lani." I hear and quickly turn to the one responsible for not catching the damn football.

"Logan Moore," I glare. "I should of known it was you. Missing the ball and all." I laugh as he playfully rolls his eyes.

Logan is my best friends brother and I kind of secretly had a crush on him since I was a child, but since it's girl code and brothers are off limits, I buried the feelings I've had for him and let it be.

"Good catch now give me the ball, ball hogger." He smirks as he approaches me with his reaching out.

I look at the guy who threw the ball and feel my heart flutter. He is absolutely gorgeous. I'm talking 6'4", brown hair that's styled to perfection, brown dreamy eyes, straight nose, and a jawline so sharp it could cut you. He has the most perfect set of pink full lips.

I drag my eyes from his angelic face to his sculpted body and quickly lick my dry lips as I take in his abs that are showing underneath his tight black shirt.

Sex on legs must of caught me staring because I hear him clear his throat and I quickly drag my eyes up to see him smirking. Cocky bastard. I roll my eyes and throw the ball in a perfect spiral and watch the smirk fall from his lips as he catches the ball effortlessly.

"I guess it's my turn to smirk now huh?" I say to the 6'4 Greek God as I make my way towards Logan.

"I guess all the summers of teaching you and Bella the ways of football paid off huh?" Logan says as he pulls me in for a hug and kisses my cheek in which I smile.

Butterflies erupt in my stomach as I look into the eyes of the boy who will never know I love him.

"Yeah, I guess so." I clear my throat as I looking at Logan's friend. "Are you going to introduce me to your friend or do I have to do it myself?"

"Oh, Umm..." Logan rubs the back of his neck. "This is Elias Miller, my best friend. Eli, this is Alani Grace Davis."

"Alani," I correct him. "Alani is just fine." I playfully roll my eyes at Logan as Elias approach's us. We shake hands and smile at one another.

"I don't know. I like Grace," Elias smiles. "Uh, are you two like together or something?" He asks pointing to me and Logan.

I duck my head down in embarrassment at seeing Logan's reaction. A look of shock one second then a look of horror. "N-no man. She's my little sisters best friend." Logan's says in between fits of laughter.

I feel my cheeks ablaze at his comment and allow my hair to form a curtain around my face in hopes that it will shield the look of embarrassment that's on my face.

After a moment I take a risk and look at Logan then Elias and see him hit Logan in the back of the head.

"I'm uh... going to go." I push my hair behind my ear and rock back and forth on my heels, as I look between an annoyed Elias and a still laughing Logan.

I quickly turn around and gather the last of my things and slam the trunk of my car closed.

"It's not even that funny." I say under my breath to Logan in which he stops laughing and shakes his head.

"Do you need help with that?" Elias offers as he walks over and points to the last box in my arms.

I quickly shake my head no and decline his offer. "No thank you." I smile at him in which he nods in return.

"Well it was nice meeting you Grace, and I hope I soon run into you again." Elias winks as he throws the ball up in the air.

"Yeah..." I say looking back with a smile.

"You're an ass man..." I hear Elias tell Logan as I'm walking away. I make it back to my dorm room and see my roommate has arrived. I shuffle my box to my other arm and quickly wipe the sweat off my hand on my Jean covered leg.

I'm not a shy or a nervous person, but meeting a person I'm going to be living with for two semesters is making me sweat in places I've never sweat before. I cringe at that feeling.

I clear my throat before putting on a smile. "Hi, I'm Alani Davis." I rush out before she can even turn around.

"Surprise!" My best friend since elementary school yells as she turns around and jumps in my arms causing me to drop the box that's containing all my books.

"Wh-what are you doing here, Bella?" I say as I hold her legs that are wrapped around my waist.

"I'm you're roommate silly." She laughs. "Do you know how hard it was to keep this a secret from you? I thought I was going to combust at any given moment."

I playfully smack her arm and smile at my best friend. "Well what happened to no secrets." I arch my brow as I put my hands on my hips.

"I'm sorry Lan, I really am but the good news is, is that we're roommates and we're going to have so much fun, especially tonight." She smiles before giving me her infamous puppy dog eyes. "Can you forgive me?"

I tap my index finger on my chin to think. "Hmmm... if you buy me some pineapples then all's forgiven."

"Deal!" She screeches and I quickly cover my ears. "We're going to have so much fun. No more parents telling us what to do. No more annoying brothers trying to control me and you."

"Yeah, Logan's an ass." I mumble and begin to tell her what the hell happened outside when she arches a perfectly arched brow at me.